Blog: A White House seat for PepsiCo's Nooyi?
Michelle Russell | 29 September 2010
As Lawrence Summer prepares to step down from his role as director of the National Economic Council, US president Barack Obama will now begin work on a shortlist of possible replacements.
One name rumoured to be on the president's list is PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi, as reports suggest the White House is eager to name a woman to serve in a high-level position.
Nooyi is no stranger to the Washington DC address. She had been part of Obama's informal group of advisers when he was running for President in 2008.
Attending a panel discussion in New York last week, she said: "I want to go to Washington and figure out how to give back to the United States," indicating that playing a political role was on the horizon.
However, Nooyi also made it clear that it was not an immediate ambition.
"The next phase of my career: I want to run PepsiCo, I want to make it a defining corporation of the 21st century, and that's all I'm focused on," she added.
Nonetheless, she will be up against former chairman of the Federal Reserve Paul Volcker, Google chairman Eric Schmidt and University of Chicago economist Austan Goolsbee, also reported to be on the shortlist.
But don't expect a decision any time soon. An announcement isn't expected until after the midterm elections in November.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014