Blog: A White House seat for PepsiCo's Nooyi?
Michelle Russell | 29 September 2010
As Lawrence Summer prepares to step down from his role as director of the National Economic Council, US president Barack Obama will now begin work on a shortlist of possible replacements.
One name rumoured to be on the president's list is PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi, as reports suggest the White House is eager to name a woman to serve in a high-level position.
Nooyi is no stranger to the Washington DC address. She had been part of Obama's informal group of advisers when he was running for President in 2008.
Attending a panel discussion in New York last week, she said: "I want to go to Washington and figure out how to give back to the United States," indicating that playing a political role was on the horizon.
However, Nooyi also made it clear that it was not an immediate ambition.
"The next phase of my career: I want to run PepsiCo, I want to make it a defining corporation of the 21st century, and that's all I'm focused on," she added.
Nonetheless, she will be up against former chairman of the Federal Reserve Paul Volcker, Google chairman Eric Schmidt and University of Chicago economist Austan Goolsbee, also reported to be on the shortlist.
But don't expect a decision any time soon. An announcement isn't expected until after the midterm elections in November.
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report