Blog: A White House seat for PepsiCo's Nooyi?
Michelle Russell | 29 September 2010
As Lawrence Summer prepares to step down from his role as director of the National Economic Council, US president Barack Obama will now begin work on a shortlist of possible replacements.
One name rumoured to be on the president's list is PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi, as reports suggest the White House is eager to name a woman to serve in a high-level position.
Nooyi is no stranger to the Washington DC address. She had been part of Obama's informal group of advisers when he was running for President in 2008.
Attending a panel discussion in New York last week, she said: "I want to go to Washington and figure out how to give back to the United States," indicating that playing a political role was on the horizon.
However, Nooyi also made it clear that it was not an immediate ambition.
"The next phase of my career: I want to run PepsiCo, I want to make it a defining corporation of the 21st century, and that's all I'm focused on," she added.
Nonetheless, she will be up against former chairman of the Federal Reserve Paul Volcker, Google chairman Eric Schmidt and University of Chicago economist Austan Goolsbee, also reported to be on the shortlist.
But don't expect a decision any time soon. An announcement isn't expected until after the midterm elections in November.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- PepsiCo US to replace aspartame in Diet Pepsi
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets