Blog: A Trip to Nebbiolo country
Chris Mercer | 15 April 2011
I have just returned from three days of pondering the meaning of life and wine in Piedmont, northern Italy.
At this stage, it remains unclear which could take longer to sort out, but there are some positive signs for the latter.
Berry Bros & Rudd's David Berry Green is making sterling efforts to unravel the tangled web of vines in one of Italy's finest viticultural regions. Most wine afficionados will know that Barolo and Barbaresco hail from Piedmont, but it is believed that fewer are aware that the source of these wines' power is the Nebbiolo grape.
Berry Green's project is to create more awareness about Nebbiolo and, specifically, to promote Nebbiolo d'Alba and Langhe Nebbiolo wines from the same region as a kind of second rung: a range of more accessible wines that are ready for drinking within perhaps three years, instead of the ten-year waiting period often associated with Barolo.
Nebbiolo wines still won't come cheap - we're talking more than GBP15 per bottle, at least.
When you lay it out before you, producers are in a fantastic position. Nebbiolo is so fussy that no other wine region in the world grows it in any quantity, giving producers in Piedmont exclusivity.
To boil it down, the flashpoint is that every producer remains fiercely proud - and rightly so - of their own style. The challenge is to persuade producers that a generic and clear campaign around Nebbiolo can coexist with this pride, rather than dilute it.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends