Blog: A Trip to Nebbiolo country
Chris Mercer | 15 April 2011
I have just returned from three days of pondering the meaning of life and wine in Piedmont, northern Italy.
At this stage, it remains unclear which could take longer to sort out, but there are some positive signs for the latter.
Berry Bros & Rudd's David Berry Green is making sterling efforts to unravel the tangled web of vines in one of Italy's finest viticultural regions. Most wine afficionados will know that Barolo and Barbaresco hail from Piedmont, but it is believed that fewer are aware that the source of these wines' power is the Nebbiolo grape.
Berry Green's project is to create more awareness about Nebbiolo and, specifically, to promote Nebbiolo d'Alba and Langhe Nebbiolo wines from the same region as a kind of second rung: a range of more accessible wines that are ready for drinking within perhaps three years, instead of the ten-year waiting period often associated with Barolo.
Nebbiolo wines still won't come cheap - we're talking more than GBP15 per bottle, at least.
When you lay it out before you, producers are in a fantastic position. Nebbiolo is so fussy that no other wine region in the world grows it in any quantity, giving producers in Piedmont exclusivity.
To boil it down, the flashpoint is that every producer remains fiercely proud - and rightly so - of their own style. The challenge is to persuade producers that a generic and clear campaign around Nebbiolo can coexist with this pride, rather than dilute it.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research