Blog: A taste of things to come for US brewers
Olly Wehring | 2 January 2007
A warm welcome back to you all after what, hopefully, was a relaxing break over Christmas and the New Year. We’re also back at our desks bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and other such animal-related adjectives.
Only two days in, and it already looks like it could be a good year for brewers in the US. The nation’s beer makers have had slim pickings in recent years, as wine and spirits producers have slowly won back market share.
But a new law in California, introduced last week, looks to have levelled the playing field for all alcoholic drinks makers alike. So, how are the brewers going to draw level with wine and spirits producers? Easy – by offering consumers free beer.
Under Californian law, wine and spirits companies have been able to provide free tastings to consumers, while brewers have not been allowed the privilege. That all changed yesterday (1 January), however.
So, the company’s brewers must welcome this - granted, quite minor - breakthrough. You’d think… Some small brewers claim the idea will give the larger companies an unfair advantage in marketing. You can’t please everyone, I guess.
One other group, meanwhile, has warned that it could lead to out-of-control drinking at bars.
So much for consumers being more intelligent than we like to think, eh?
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review