Blog: A straw poll at just-drinks HQ
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2007
A visit to head office today (27 February) - I need to show my paymasters that I do actually exist, after all.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by a massive selection of flavoured drinking straws from Australian company Unistraw, including what appears to be its full range of Sipahh milk flavouring straws and Mai’a iced coffee straws.
Indeed, so massive was the selection, that I had to share them with the rest of the head office staff.
Caramel Milk - Instantly transported me back to my childhood. The taste was the same, only there was no final gulp with the sugared bits in the bottom - a bit like when your tea bag bursts and you don’t realise.
Now the company should look into alcohol variants. I’m seeking a blackcurrant straw to go with cider, lime to go with lager, and lemon to go with my G&T or tequila - although I wouldn’t advocate drinking alcohol through a straw.
How about a cordial version that could be used with water? The potential is limitless!
Cookies & Cream - Very sweet & sickly - towards the end it’s like drinking pure sugar! I can’t imagine it being very good for your teeth.
Choc-Mint - Only got through half my straw with the milk provided and had enough by then, so can imagine it would get quite sickly if used the full amount with a bigger glass of milk. Doesn't feel like it's very nutritious, but would be a nice gimmick, especially for kids.
Espresso Iced Coffee - I’m a big fan of Starbucks iced coffee with sweetener, and this is sweet enough alright. The straws might be a clever way to get more children to drink milk, but the ‘half a tablespoon of sugar’ cannot be underestimated, especially if they are as addictive as they taste!
Hearty thanks to Unistraw - I’m suitably wired for the rest of the afternoon.
As for you other drinks companies out there, we have a full laboratory of guinea pigs up here, so do get in touch if you’d like their feedback. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages