Blog: A straw poll at just-drinks HQ
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2007
A visit to head office today (27 February) - I need to show my paymasters that I do actually exist, after all.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by a massive selection of flavoured drinking straws from Australian company Unistraw, including what appears to be its full range of Sipahh milk flavouring straws and Mai’a iced coffee straws.
Indeed, so massive was the selection, that I had to share them with the rest of the head office staff.
Caramel Milk - Instantly transported me back to my childhood. The taste was the same, only there was no final gulp with the sugared bits in the bottom - a bit like when your tea bag bursts and you don’t realise.
Now the company should look into alcohol variants. I’m seeking a blackcurrant straw to go with cider, lime to go with lager, and lemon to go with my G&T or tequila - although I wouldn’t advocate drinking alcohol through a straw.
How about a cordial version that could be used with water? The potential is limitless!
Cookies & Cream - Very sweet & sickly - towards the end it’s like drinking pure sugar! I can’t imagine it being very good for your teeth.
Choc-Mint - Only got through half my straw with the milk provided and had enough by then, so can imagine it would get quite sickly if used the full amount with a bigger glass of milk. Doesn't feel like it's very nutritious, but would be a nice gimmick, especially for kids.
Espresso Iced Coffee - I’m a big fan of Starbucks iced coffee with sweetener, and this is sweet enough alright. The straws might be a clever way to get more children to drink milk, but the ‘half a tablespoon of sugar’ cannot be underestimated, especially if they are as addictive as they taste!
Hearty thanks to Unistraw - I’m suitably wired for the rest of the afternoon.
As for you other drinks companies out there, we have a full laboratory of guinea pigs up here, so do get in touch if you’d like their feedback. You can email me at email@example.com.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research