Blog: A straw poll at just-drinks HQ
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2007
A visit to head office today (27 February) - I need to show my paymasters that I do actually exist, after all.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by a massive selection of flavoured drinking straws from Australian company Unistraw, including what appears to be its full range of Sipahh milk flavouring straws and Mai’a iced coffee straws.
Indeed, so massive was the selection, that I had to share them with the rest of the head office staff.
Caramel Milk - Instantly transported me back to my childhood. The taste was the same, only there was no final gulp with the sugared bits in the bottom - a bit like when your tea bag bursts and you don’t realise.
Now the company should look into alcohol variants. I’m seeking a blackcurrant straw to go with cider, lime to go with lager, and lemon to go with my G&T or tequila - although I wouldn’t advocate drinking alcohol through a straw.
How about a cordial version that could be used with water? The potential is limitless!
Cookies & Cream - Very sweet & sickly - towards the end it’s like drinking pure sugar! I can’t imagine it being very good for your teeth.
Choc-Mint - Only got through half my straw with the milk provided and had enough by then, so can imagine it would get quite sickly if used the full amount with a bigger glass of milk. Doesn't feel like it's very nutritious, but would be a nice gimmick, especially for kids.
Espresso Iced Coffee - I’m a big fan of Starbucks iced coffee with sweetener, and this is sweet enough alright. The straws might be a clever way to get more children to drink milk, but the ‘half a tablespoon of sugar’ cannot be underestimated, especially if they are as addictive as they taste!
Hearty thanks to Unistraw - I’m suitably wired for the rest of the afternoon.
As for you other drinks companies out there, we have a full laboratory of guinea pigs up here, so do get in touch if you’d like their feedback. You can email me at email@example.com.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014