Blog: A straw poll at just-drinks HQ
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2007
A visit to head office today (27 February) - I need to show my paymasters that I do actually exist, after all.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by a massive selection of flavoured drinking straws from Australian company Unistraw, including what appears to be its full range of Sipahh milk flavouring straws and Mai’a iced coffee straws.
Indeed, so massive was the selection, that I had to share them with the rest of the head office staff.
Caramel Milk - Instantly transported me back to my childhood. The taste was the same, only there was no final gulp with the sugared bits in the bottom - a bit like when your tea bag bursts and you don’t realise.
Now the company should look into alcohol variants. I’m seeking a blackcurrant straw to go with cider, lime to go with lager, and lemon to go with my G&T or tequila - although I wouldn’t advocate drinking alcohol through a straw.
How about a cordial version that could be used with water? The potential is limitless!
Cookies & Cream - Very sweet & sickly - towards the end it’s like drinking pure sugar! I can’t imagine it being very good for your teeth.
Choc-Mint - Only got through half my straw with the milk provided and had enough by then, so can imagine it would get quite sickly if used the full amount with a bigger glass of milk. Doesn't feel like it's very nutritious, but would be a nice gimmick, especially for kids.
Espresso Iced Coffee - I’m a big fan of Starbucks iced coffee with sweetener, and this is sweet enough alright. The straws might be a clever way to get more children to drink milk, but the ‘half a tablespoon of sugar’ cannot be underestimated, especially if they are as addictive as they taste!
Hearty thanks to Unistraw - I’m suitably wired for the rest of the afternoon.
As for you other drinks companies out there, we have a full laboratory of guinea pigs up here, so do get in touch if you’d like their feedback. You can email me at email@example.com.
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
California's Sierra Nevada Brewing Co is very proud of its new Hop Hunter IPA, which contains hop oil. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report