Blog: A straw poll at just-drinks HQ
Olly Wehring | 27 February 2007
A visit to head office today (27 February) - I need to show my paymasters that I do actually exist, after all.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by a massive selection of flavoured drinking straws from Australian company Unistraw, including what appears to be its full range of Sipahh milk flavouring straws and Mai’a iced coffee straws.
Indeed, so massive was the selection, that I had to share them with the rest of the head office staff.
Caramel Milk - Instantly transported me back to my childhood. The taste was the same, only there was no final gulp with the sugared bits in the bottom - a bit like when your tea bag bursts and you don’t realise.
Now the company should look into alcohol variants. I’m seeking a blackcurrant straw to go with cider, lime to go with lager, and lemon to go with my G&T or tequila - although I wouldn’t advocate drinking alcohol through a straw.
How about a cordial version that could be used with water? The potential is limitless!
Cookies & Cream - Very sweet & sickly - towards the end it’s like drinking pure sugar! I can’t imagine it being very good for your teeth.
Choc-Mint - Only got through half my straw with the milk provided and had enough by then, so can imagine it would get quite sickly if used the full amount with a bigger glass of milk. Doesn't feel like it's very nutritious, but would be a nice gimmick, especially for kids.
Espresso Iced Coffee - I’m a big fan of Starbucks iced coffee with sweetener, and this is sweet enough alright. The straws might be a clever way to get more children to drink milk, but the ‘half a tablespoon of sugar’ cannot be underestimated, especially if they are as addictive as they taste!
Hearty thanks to Unistraw - I’m suitably wired for the rest of the afternoon.
As for you other drinks companies out there, we have a full laboratory of guinea pigs up here, so do get in touch if you’d like their feedback. You can email me at email@example.com.
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report