Blog: A sporting chance
Chris Brook-Carter | 25 May 2004
The success of the sponsorship of a sporting event can often be a hard thing to quantify. Not so for Heineken and its high-profile involvement in rugby's European cup.
Heineken's sponsorship of the rugby equivalent of football's Champion's League (which incidentally is also sponsored by a Heineken brand - Amstel) began when the success of the competition was by no means guaranteed. However, the crowds at Twickenham for the final on Sunday and the huge interest the competition has generated, not only this season but also over the last two or three years, is a triumph for the beer brand's foresight.
As London Wasps celebrated their victory on Sunday with magnums of Heineken in front of a packed Twickenham and millions of TV viewers, a barman was pouring the 80,000th pint of Heineken in the stadium that day. A further 6,000 were poured at The Heineken Club at The Stoop, Harlequins' ground next to Twickenham. A total of 15 pubs in Twickenham were 'Heinekenised' for the big day and Heineken's roving drink dispensers helped ensure everyone was able to celebrate the occasion properly.
With no noticeable alcohol-related trouble at the event, just thousands of sports fans enjoying a fantastic day out, those are figures to raise a beer to.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits