Blog: A sporting chance
Chris Brook-Carter | 25 May 2004
The success of the sponsorship of a sporting event can often be a hard thing to quantify. Not so for Heineken and its high-profile involvement in rugby's European cup.
Heineken's sponsorship of the rugby equivalent of football's Champion's League (which incidentally is also sponsored by a Heineken brand - Amstel) began when the success of the competition was by no means guaranteed. However, the crowds at Twickenham for the final on Sunday and the huge interest the competition has generated, not only this season but also over the last two or three years, is a triumph for the beer brand's foresight.
As London Wasps celebrated their victory on Sunday with magnums of Heineken in front of a packed Twickenham and millions of TV viewers, a barman was pouring the 80,000th pint of Heineken in the stadium that day. A further 6,000 were poured at The Heineken Club at The Stoop, Harlequins' ground next to Twickenham. A total of 15 pubs in Twickenham were 'Heinekenised' for the big day and Heineken's roving drink dispensers helped ensure everyone was able to celebrate the occasion properly.
With no noticeable alcohol-related trouble at the event, just thousands of sports fans enjoying a fantastic day out, those are figures to raise a beer to.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends