Blog: A sad day for just-drinks
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 November 2005
It’s with great sadness today that just-drinks has to announce the passing of one of its longest serving correspondents, Tony Baker. He was 66 and had been battling cancer for some time.
Tony’s record as a man of the media speaks for itself. He was one of South Australia’s best-known journalists, had been head of the Reuters bureau in Saigon during the Vietnam conflict, press secretary to former Labor premier Don Dunstan and the final editor of the Adelaide newspaper The News before joining The Advertiser 12 years ago.
Tony began working for just-drinks not long after its conception and proved to be one of its most loyal and regular freelancers over the next five years. Blessed with a love for the wine industry and a unique take on the Australian business and way of life, his contributions to just-drinks were often insightful and always entertaining.
I only actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony once, on a trip to Australia last year, but was immediately struck by the years of knowledge and experience he hid behind a modest exterior.
Our deepest condolences go out to his wife Lili and all the friends and family he leaves behind.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- just the Ten - Editor's Viewpoints of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod agrees Caribe Cooler sale to Grupo Bepensa
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Thailand pulls back from New Year alcohol ban
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review