Blog: A sad day for just-drinks
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 November 2005
It’s with great sadness today that just-drinks has to announce the passing of one of its longest serving correspondents, Tony Baker. He was 66 and had been battling cancer for some time.
Tony’s record as a man of the media speaks for itself. He was one of South Australia’s best-known journalists, had been head of the Reuters bureau in Saigon during the Vietnam conflict, press secretary to former Labor premier Don Dunstan and the final editor of the Adelaide newspaper The News before joining The Advertiser 12 years ago.
Tony began working for just-drinks not long after its conception and proved to be one of its most loyal and regular freelancers over the next five years. Blessed with a love for the wine industry and a unique take on the Australian business and way of life, his contributions to just-drinks were often insightful and always entertaining.
I only actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony once, on a trip to Australia last year, but was immediately struck by the years of knowledge and experience he hid behind a modest exterior.
Our deepest condolences go out to his wife Lili and all the friends and family he leaves behind.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row