Blog: A sad day for just-drinks
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 November 2005
It’s with great sadness today that just-drinks has to announce the passing of one of its longest serving correspondents, Tony Baker. He was 66 and had been battling cancer for some time.
Tony’s record as a man of the media speaks for itself. He was one of South Australia’s best-known journalists, had been head of the Reuters bureau in Saigon during the Vietnam conflict, press secretary to former Labor premier Don Dunstan and the final editor of the Adelaide newspaper The News before joining The Advertiser 12 years ago.
Tony began working for just-drinks not long after its conception and proved to be one of its most loyal and regular freelancers over the next five years. Blessed with a love for the wine industry and a unique take on the Australian business and way of life, his contributions to just-drinks were often insightful and always entertaining.
I only actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony once, on a trip to Australia last year, but was immediately struck by the years of knowledge and experience he hid behind a modest exterior.
Our deepest condolences go out to his wife Lili and all the friends and family he leaves behind.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers has stepped up a notch after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water” this week....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review