Blog: A sad day for just-drinks
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 November 2005
It’s with great sadness today that just-drinks has to announce the passing of one of its longest serving correspondents, Tony Baker. He was 66 and had been battling cancer for some time.
Tony’s record as a man of the media speaks for itself. He was one of South Australia’s best-known journalists, had been head of the Reuters bureau in Saigon during the Vietnam conflict, press secretary to former Labor premier Don Dunstan and the final editor of the Adelaide newspaper The News before joining The Advertiser 12 years ago.
Tony began working for just-drinks not long after its conception and proved to be one of its most loyal and regular freelancers over the next five years. Blessed with a love for the wine industry and a unique take on the Australian business and way of life, his contributions to just-drinks were often insightful and always entertaining.
I only actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony once, on a trip to Australia last year, but was immediately struck by the years of knowledge and experience he hid behind a modest exterior.
Our deepest condolences go out to his wife Lili and all the friends and family he leaves behind.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends