Blog: A sad day for just-drinks
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 November 2005
It’s with great sadness today that just-drinks has to announce the passing of one of its longest serving correspondents, Tony Baker. He was 66 and had been battling cancer for some time.
Tony’s record as a man of the media speaks for itself. He was one of South Australia’s best-known journalists, had been head of the Reuters bureau in Saigon during the Vietnam conflict, press secretary to former Labor premier Don Dunstan and the final editor of the Adelaide newspaper The News before joining The Advertiser 12 years ago.
Tony began working for just-drinks not long after its conception and proved to be one of its most loyal and regular freelancers over the next five years. Blessed with a love for the wine industry and a unique take on the Australian business and way of life, his contributions to just-drinks were often insightful and always entertaining.
I only actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony once, on a trip to Australia last year, but was immediately struck by the years of knowledge and experience he hid behind a modest exterior.
Our deepest condolences go out to his wife Lili and all the friends and family he leaves behind.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends