Blog: A sad day for just-drinks
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 November 2005
It’s with great sadness today that just-drinks has to announce the passing of one of its longest serving correspondents, Tony Baker. He was 66 and had been battling cancer for some time.
Tony’s record as a man of the media speaks for itself. He was one of South Australia’s best-known journalists, had been head of the Reuters bureau in Saigon during the Vietnam conflict, press secretary to former Labor premier Don Dunstan and the final editor of the Adelaide newspaper The News before joining The Advertiser 12 years ago.
Tony began working for just-drinks not long after its conception and proved to be one of its most loyal and regular freelancers over the next five years. Blessed with a love for the wine industry and a unique take on the Australian business and way of life, his contributions to just-drinks were often insightful and always entertaining.
I only actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony once, on a trip to Australia last year, but was immediately struck by the years of knowledge and experience he hid behind a modest exterior.
Our deepest condolences go out to his wife Lili and all the friends and family he leaves behind.
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review