Blog: A sad day for just-drinks
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 November 2005
It’s with great sadness today that just-drinks has to announce the passing of one of its longest serving correspondents, Tony Baker. He was 66 and had been battling cancer for some time.
Tony’s record as a man of the media speaks for itself. He was one of South Australia’s best-known journalists, had been head of the Reuters bureau in Saigon during the Vietnam conflict, press secretary to former Labor premier Don Dunstan and the final editor of the Adelaide newspaper The News before joining The Advertiser 12 years ago.
Tony began working for just-drinks not long after its conception and proved to be one of its most loyal and regular freelancers over the next five years. Blessed with a love for the wine industry and a unique take on the Australian business and way of life, his contributions to just-drinks were often insightful and always entertaining.
I only actually had the pleasure of meeting Tony once, on a trip to Australia last year, but was immediately struck by the years of knowledge and experience he hid behind a modest exterior.
Our deepest condolences go out to his wife Lili and all the friends and family he leaves behind.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)