Blog: A reminder to get your water in
Olly Wehring | 12 March 2015
Today is the tenth anniversary of World Kidney Day.
No, nor me.
Jointly organised by the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) and the International Federation of Kidney Foundations (IFKF), the theme this year is 'Kidney Health for All'.
“With 10% of the population worldwide having some form of kidney damage, there is a long road ahead to raise awareness about the dangers of kidney disease,” the two organisations wrote this week. “Chronic Kidney Disease, which is predicted to increase by 17% over the next decade, is now recognised by the World Health Organisation … as a global public health issue.
“On 12 March, we invite the whole civil society, governments, health professionals and patients to drink to their kidneys and to give a glass of water to their families, friends and co-worker.”
I bring this to your attention, dear drinks industry, because I'd assume that those of you who work on the alcohol side probably don't drink as much water as you should.
So, go on, if only for World Kidney Day, drink a half-litre of water.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
On 9 May, Diageo is hosting its latest Capital Markets Day for analysts and investors, in London. Ahead of the group's presentations, Anthony Bucalo, global beverages analyst at HSBC, has prepared a l...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Yesterday, Dr Pepper Snapple Group reported its results for the first three months of 2017. The company saw its sales rise slightly in the first quarter, although profits were hit by the US$1.7bn purc...
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends