Blog: A rare old time at the LIWF
Andy Morton | 25 May 2012
Another year, another wine fair. Isn't that what you're supposed to say? Except this was my first LIWF, and there's no jaundiced-eyed view here - I had a rare old time.
My colleague Chris Mercer wrote a far more involved summary of the show, which you can read here, discussing whether it is still worth holding. But for this first-timer, an annual get together where you meet face-to-face with people that more often than not you only speak to on the phone, or through a keyboard, is surely worth keeping.
Plus, it's a lot of fun, something that was abundantly clear yesterday afternoon as chucking-out time approached and everyone unloosened collars and ties.
Old-school journalists used the euphemism “tired and emotional”, by the end there were a few visitors doggedly pinballing from stand to stand. One happy chap even presented the just-drinks booth with a fine bottle of Riesling. Meanwhile, the press tent was under attack from someone who kept evading staff to scoff the area's free biscuits.
The wine fair, though, is much more than a chance to steal snacks from hard-working journalists. As Chris points out in his article, it offers the opportunity for the wine industry to learn from each other. The seminars and masterclasses can give back so much, and where else can you sample wine from India or Greece or other new emerging wine markets?
My only disappointment was I didn't get a chance to wander the floor as much as I had hoped, which is the great treat of shows like LIWF. So don't call time on it yet - I want to go back next year.
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review