Blog: A pint of VERY vintage, please.
Chris Brook-Carter | 28 July 2004
As those of you fortunate enough to have met any of the just-drinks staff know only too well, we like the odd drink. As did our parents. And our grandparents. In fact, it’s possible the lines of drinkers in our families might go back further than we think.
Archaeologists working in southern Peru have found a brewery more than 1,000 years old on Cerro Baul, a mountaintop city over 8,000 feet above sea level that was home to elite members of the Wari Empire from AD 600-1000.
Predating the Inca Empire by at least four centuries, this Wari brewery was used to make chicha, a fermented beverage similar to beer that played an important role in ritual feasting and drinking during Peru's first empire.
Patrick Ryan Williams, PhD, assistant curator of Anthropology at The Field Museum, said: “The scale of chicha production in this building with multiple fires and vats, indicates that this was not a home-brewing operation. It was an elaborate brewery that produced massive amounts of chicha.”
Mmm… Chicha – sounds good to us.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Whisk(e)y leads vodka in US, but for how long?
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence
- William Grant opens Tullamore D.E.W. distillery
- Rabobank warns of "mountainous task" for Scotch
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014