Blog: A night out with Constellation
Olly Wehring | 5 November 2008
I was back on the razzle last night – this time as a guest of Constellation Europe at 'A Big Night Out With Fifteen', a charity dinner to raise money for Jamie Oliver's Fifteen project. The Constellation link was the presence of Robert Mondavi wines for all 200 of us throughout the four-course culinary treat.
While at the shindig, I managed to grab five minutes with Constellation Europe's CEO, Troy Christensen. You may remember Christensen's candid comments last month about UK trade in the coming festive build-up. Well, last night he reiterated those concerns but sounded remarkably upbeat about the coming months in the UK. Interesting, seeing as Asda have just started pushing three bottles of wine for GBP10 on UK prime-time TV, while Morrisons are pushing three for GBP9.
What concerns me for Constellation is that the company is dead-set on no longer being a value chaser in the UK, looking to hold prices. It's clear, however, that if the company won't shift on price, there are plenty of others out there who will. And, with the UK consumer starting to turn every penny before he spends it, in which direction do you think that penny's going to go?
An aside, but at the GBP650-per-head dinner last night, a raffle was held to raise money for Fifteen. One of the prizes was to go 'Bowling with Lemar'. Fair reminded me of Alan Partridge's 'Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank' idea.
Any excuse for a Partridge link.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends