Blog: A Loire unto itself
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2004
The modern perception of the French wine sector is that the international consolidation that is helping define much of the New World will either take an age to grip the home of Claret and chateaux or pass it by altogether.
But news out of the Loire suggests this is not altogether fair. Various wine producers and dealers in the region are responding to falling sales by making alliances and mergers, but they are, of course, just on a smaller scale than the radar busting deals being done in Australia and California.
The region's biggest dealer in still wines, Vinival, for example, is up for sale, with the local wine co-operative Alliance Loire cited as a favourite for the acquisition. If the transaction goes ahead, say observers, it will create a dominant entity on the market for Loire Valley wines. At the same time, the Tourange-based wine dealer Pierre Chainier has agreed to merge with Caves de la Loire, a wine co-operative located in Brissac. The merger's first phase, which is due to be completed by the end of the year, consists of the creation of Loire Proprietes, a 50/50 sales and marketing joint-venture with an expected turnover of €35m.
It is clearly too much to expect a fragmented market like France to consolidate at the same pace as Australia, where four or five players dominate as much as 80% of exports. However, these sorts of deals are not isolated incidents and should be taken as a genuine sign that there are those in the French industry prepared to take radical steps to modernise in order to survive.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends