Blog: A January detox only leads to a retox
James Wilmore | 23 November 2012
Alcohol Concern - a UK-based charity aimed at cutting alcohol harm - is urging drinkers to have a "dry January". But is this a credible strategy?
"Feel better. Save money. Make a difference," its website says. You can also get friends and family to sponsor you, which seems like a bit of a stretch.
But what seems particularly odd is that another leading charity, with lots in common with Alcohol Concern, the British Liver Trust said a year ago that a January detox is "medically futile".
"People think they're virtuous with their health by embarking on a liver detox each January with the belief that they are cleansing their liver of excess following the festive break," said chief executive Andrew Langford.
"You're better off making a resolution to take a few days off alcohol a week throughout the entire year than remaining abstinent for January only."
Having tried this British tradition a few times, I would have to agree. Indeed a former colleague, who used to do a January detox, always relished the prospect of a "retox" night in early February, no doubt undoing all his good work.
Alcohol Concern, which also runs Alcohol Awareness Week, ending this Sunday, must believe that people will have a month off and realise the error of their ways. But I'm not sure it works like that.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research