Blog: A glowing report
Chris Brook-Carter | 23 March 2004
Like waiting for a bus, controversy in the bottled water has been scarce in recent months, only for several ‘scandals’ to rear their heads at once. A report in the New Scientist this week shows that Hungarian brands of bottled water are now getting in on the action.
The report says that some Hungarian brands of life juice contain so much natural radioactivity that regular drinkers could exceed the World Health Organisation’s safety limit. A study by scientists from the University of Veszprem in Hungary found high levels of radium-226 in three out of 18 commercial mineral waters. People drinking a litre or more a day could breach the limit of 100 microsieverts a year recommended for drinking water, by the WHO, they say.
The lead author of the study, Tibor Kovacs, recommends that people avoid drinking the most radioactive water, and stick with tap water.
Next month, the UK’s Food Standards Agency will issue a survey of 161 named brands of bottled water from across Europe. What are the chances of more traffic at the proverbial bus-stop, then?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report