Blog: A dog's life
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 December 2003
Innovation, the watchword of the soft drinks industry in the last two years, with Vanilla Coke, Mountain Livewire, Sprite Tropical Remix and now chicken and corn-flavoured water.
The latest offering in flavour extensions comes from Australia and is an effort to extend the packaged water segment into the pet food sector. Other flavours will include liver and bacon and beef.
Ten out of ten for lateral thinking to Andrew Larkey who came up with the idea for Dog Plus K-9 water, though one might question the reasoning of those who are purchasing it.
Larkey though dismisses any doubts over his product. "It's like a sports drink for dogs," he says. "Dogs get bored with plain water - they deserve variety just as much as people."
Larkey plans a similar line of drinks for cats, in roast chicken and pork flavors early next year.
People can safely drink it as well, apparently, although Larkey concedes it probably won't be a hit with humans.
That said he did confirm that he had developed "a bit of a taste for it myself".
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US