Blog: A Dinner for Diageo's Johnnie Walker Double Black
Chris Mercer | 20 May 2011
Last night, just to prove that three days at an international wine show is not enough, just-drinks popped along to a Diageo-hosted dinner at Marcus Wareing's restaurant at The Berkeley to mark one year since the launch of Johnnie Walker Double Black.
As you've probably summised already, Johnnie Walker Double Black has proved a serious hit in the travel retail sector, where it was officially launched around a year ago. Well, it was hardly going to be a slap-up dinner to celebrate the brand extension's glorious failure, was it?
Some of Diageo's jubilation probably translates from relief. After all, it's not easy to extend a flagship brand, as the innovation team on Guinness has found several times to its cost.
Before we tucked into some seriously good food, accompanied by Johnnie Walker Double Black-infused sauce (and jelly), we chewed some numbers and heard about Diageo's plans.
We'll have more information for you next week, but here's a snippet. In the fourth quarter of calendar 2010, Johnnie Walker Double Black achieved net sales of GBP3m (US$4.9m), making it the eighth best-selling spirits brand by value in the global travel retail sector during the period, Diageo said last night. It had a value share of 1.8% for the three months.
The group's head of travel retail for Europe, Paul Downing, expects that Double Black's recent launch in Russia will significantly boost his corner of the Diageo empire over the next year.
Stay tuned for more.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research