Blog: A Dinner for Diageo's Johnnie Walker Double Black
Chris Mercer | 20 May 2011
Last night, just to prove that three days at an international wine show is not enough, just-drinks popped along to a Diageo-hosted dinner at Marcus Wareing's restaurant at The Berkeley to mark one year since the launch of Johnnie Walker Double Black.
As you've probably summised already, Johnnie Walker Double Black has proved a serious hit in the travel retail sector, where it was officially launched around a year ago. Well, it was hardly going to be a slap-up dinner to celebrate the brand extension's glorious failure, was it?
Some of Diageo's jubilation probably translates from relief. After all, it's not easy to extend a flagship brand, as the innovation team on Guinness has found several times to its cost.
Before we tucked into some seriously good food, accompanied by Johnnie Walker Double Black-infused sauce (and jelly), we chewed some numbers and heard about Diageo's plans.
We'll have more information for you next week, but here's a snippet. In the fourth quarter of calendar 2010, Johnnie Walker Double Black achieved net sales of GBP3m (US$4.9m), making it the eighth best-selling spirits brand by value in the global travel retail sector during the period, Diageo said last night. It had a value share of 1.8% for the three months.
The group's head of travel retail for Europe, Paul Downing, expects that Double Black's recent launch in Russia will significantly boost his corner of the Diageo empire over the next year.
Stay tuned for more.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research