Blog: A clear answer to the festive sore head
Olly Wehring | 23 December 2009
Ah, the traditional sounds of Christmas – those intolerable seasonal pop songs played over and over in shopping centres, warnings of the UK transports system's imminent collapse from the cold and the annual debate in offices the world over about how to avoid, cure or battle the festive hangover.
Well, you'll be pleased to know that this debate can now be put to bed, at least where two drinks are concerned.
Drinking whisky will result in a worse hangover than vodka, according to research carried out by scientists at the US's Brown University.
Molecules known as "congeners" are to blame, it seems, and whisky has more of them than vodka.
However, just in case those of you who usually toast in the office Christmas party with Laphroaig thought you might have the answer to the miseries of being at your desk the next day, the research goes on to warn that sticking to vodka all night rather than whisky would not improve your performance at work the following day.
I can vouch for that.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits