Blog: 99p wine - Drinkaware defends the indefensible
Chris Mercer | 23 June 2010
Responsible drinking charity Drinkaware has released a bizarre statement on the possible arrival of sub-GBP1 wine on the UK market.
Frankly, I do not see how selling bottles of wine for GBP0.99 helps anybody. There is no value in this product - not for consumers, not for retail margins, not for producers.
If 99p Stores were to introduce the wine, as has been reported this week, bodies like Drinkaware should seize on the opportunity to grab a piece of moral high ground in the great alcohol debate.
Instead, the industry-funded charity has released what only falls slightly short of a defence of the wine.
"Supply and price are far from the only factors in driving alcohol misuse – demand and attitudes towards alcohol are crucial," Drinkaware CEO Chris Sorek said.
"The UK binge drinking problem needs to be tackled head-on and it is imperative we challenge people’s relationship with alcohol first and foremost."
I agree with both of those statements. But the context is hardly appropriate.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits