Blog: 99p wine - Drinkaware defends the indefensible
Chris Mercer | 23 June 2010
Responsible drinking charity Drinkaware has released a bizarre statement on the possible arrival of sub-GBP1 wine on the UK market.
Frankly, I do not see how selling bottles of wine for GBP0.99 helps anybody. There is no value in this product - not for consumers, not for retail margins, not for producers.
If 99p Stores were to introduce the wine, as has been reported this week, bodies like Drinkaware should seize on the opportunity to grab a piece of moral high ground in the great alcohol debate.
Instead, the industry-funded charity has released what only falls slightly short of a defence of the wine.
"Supply and price are far from the only factors in driving alcohol misuse – demand and attitudes towards alcohol are crucial," Drinkaware CEO Chris Sorek said.
"The UK binge drinking problem needs to be tackled head-on and it is imperative we challenge people’s relationship with alcohol first and foremost."
I agree with both of those statements. But the context is hardly appropriate.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts