Blog: 99p wine - Drinkaware defends the indefensible
Chris Mercer | 23 June 2010
Responsible drinking charity Drinkaware has released a bizarre statement on the possible arrival of sub-GBP1 wine on the UK market.
Frankly, I do not see how selling bottles of wine for GBP0.99 helps anybody. There is no value in this product - not for consumers, not for retail margins, not for producers.
If 99p Stores were to introduce the wine, as has been reported this week, bodies like Drinkaware should seize on the opportunity to grab a piece of moral high ground in the great alcohol debate.
Instead, the industry-funded charity has released what only falls slightly short of a defence of the wine.
"Supply and price are far from the only factors in driving alcohol misuse – demand and attitudes towards alcohol are crucial," Drinkaware CEO Chris Sorek said.
"The UK binge drinking problem needs to be tackled head-on and it is imperative we challenge people’s relationship with alcohol first and foremost."
I agree with both of those statements. But the context is hardly appropriate.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends