Blog: 99p wine - Drinkaware defends the indefensible
Chris Mercer | 23 June 2010
Responsible drinking charity Drinkaware has released a bizarre statement on the possible arrival of sub-GBP1 wine on the UK market.
Frankly, I do not see how selling bottles of wine for GBP0.99 helps anybody. There is no value in this product - not for consumers, not for retail margins, not for producers.
If 99p Stores were to introduce the wine, as has been reported this week, bodies like Drinkaware should seize on the opportunity to grab a piece of moral high ground in the great alcohol debate.
Instead, the industry-funded charity has released what only falls slightly short of a defence of the wine.
"Supply and price are far from the only factors in driving alcohol misuse – demand and attitudes towards alcohol are crucial," Drinkaware CEO Chris Sorek said.
"The UK binge drinking problem needs to be tackled head-on and it is imperative we challenge people’s relationship with alcohol first and foremost."
I agree with both of those statements. But the context is hardly appropriate.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends