Blog: 99p wine - Drinkaware defends the indefensible
Chris Mercer | 23 June 2010
Responsible drinking charity Drinkaware has released a bizarre statement on the possible arrival of sub-GBP1 wine on the UK market.
Frankly, I do not see how selling bottles of wine for GBP0.99 helps anybody. There is no value in this product - not for consumers, not for retail margins, not for producers.
If 99p Stores were to introduce the wine, as has been reported this week, bodies like Drinkaware should seize on the opportunity to grab a piece of moral high ground in the great alcohol debate.
Instead, the industry-funded charity has released what only falls slightly short of a defence of the wine.
"Supply and price are far from the only factors in driving alcohol misuse – demand and attitudes towards alcohol are crucial," Drinkaware CEO Chris Sorek said.
"The UK binge drinking problem needs to be tackled head-on and it is imperative we challenge people’s relationship with alcohol first and foremost."
I agree with both of those statements. But the context is hardly appropriate.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row