United Kingdom: Latest beverage news & analysis
Late last month, Wemyss Malts announced plans to move its Darnley's gin production to its own, newly-created facility in Scotland. The gin, which launched in 2010, is currently produced at Thames Distillers in London. At the same time, the firm announced that it has dropped 'View' from the brand name and rolled out fresh packaging as well as a Navy Strength version of its Spiced Gin brand. just-drinks sat down with Wemyss Malts founder and managing director William Wemyss in Edinburgh to find out why being "made in Scotland" is important.
Yesterday, UK Prime Minister Theresa May invoked Article 50 of the European Union's constitution, formally beginning the two-year process by which the UK will leave the EU. Although post-exit trade arrangements are not formally included in the UK's exit terms, they are sure to be the subject of intense discussions between the two sides.
With just over 20% of the country's total beer market value, the craft category in the US is ahead of the global curve.
Former Tesco wine director Dan Jago took over as CEO at UK-based Berry Bros & Rudd in 2015 and has since overseen a period of overhaul at the near-320-year-old wine and spirits group. Late last month, just-drinks met up with Jago at BBR's London headquarters. In part I of the interview, Jago discussed new changes to the company. In part II, the CEO talks about how he has no desire to chase the Millennial market, and reveals what keeps him awake at night.
In August 2015, UK-based Berry Bros & Rudd appointed Dan Jago as its CEO. Since then, the former group wine director at Tesco has overseen a period of overhaul at the near-320-year-old wine and spirits group. Late last month, just-drinks met up with Jago at BBR's London headquarters to learn more about the changes he has introduced.
The Portman Group has recruited the head of EU & international government relations at Tesco to become its next CEO.
Carlsberg has dropped Tuborg as the main face of its UK festival programme as the brewer looks to revitalise its namesake lager brand in the country.
UK brewer Fuller's has become the latest company to roll out cider in cans.
California-based Stone Brewing has changed distributor in the UK market.
Nichols is taking the Feel Good juice brand it bought in 2015 into the flavoured water category.
Low-alcohol beer firm Big Drop Brewing Co has added a pale ale to its line-up.
Heineken's UK unit has lined up a GBP5m (US$6.4m) campaign for its New Zealand cider brand.
Diageo is to shed more than 100 jobs at its Scottish plants as it shifts some spirits production outside of the UK, a trade union has said.
Carlsberg has spent GBP15m (US$m) on its latest UK campaign as it tries to create "thumbstoppable" content for today's saturated digital market.
Nichols has taken its Vimto brand into the flavoured water category with the launch of Vim2o.
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip.
Here in the UK, we're coming to the end of a fine summer of cricket, with England having played against Sri Lanka and Pakistan in a number of matches around the country.
The rules have changed. The goal posts have... gone?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World