South Africa: Latest beverage news & analysis
Last week, the South African government put up for public discussion proposed changes to the country's alcohol regulations. The 36-page Liquor Policy Review has caused a few ripples as it contends not only that alcohol producers and retailers should be made liable for drink-related damage to consumers but that the minimum drinking age should be increased from 18 to 21.
Earlier today, Diageo confirmed plans to take full control of UB Group's United National Breweries. The Guinness producer will pay an initial US$22m for the 50% of the sorghum beer producer it does not already own. Here's some facts on United National Breweries:
Craft brewers and big beer firms may be on opposite sides of the trenches in the US, but the situation appears to be a little different in South Africa.
SABMiller’s South African soft drinks business is aiming for up to 5% medium-term annual volume growth, but has warned of current challenges such as a weakening Rand and social unrest in the lead-up to elections.
An on-going rise in the number of women in South Africa choosing to drink alcohol has been identified as an opportunity for SABMiller, with the brewer upping its focus on sweeter beers to capitalise on the trend.
Accolade Wine's South African brand, Fish Hoek, will qualify for Fairtrade status from the 2015 vintage.
Diageo has agreed a deal to take full control of UB Group's South African sorghum beer business, United National Breweries (UNB).
Virgin Limited Edition, the luxury hotel chain, and consultancy Litmus Wines have set up a new winemaking and sales joint venture in South Africa.
A new campaign has been launched aimed at bringing more wine bottling back to South Africa in the face of accelerating bulk exports.
A decision to clear SABMiller over claims that it engaged in anti-competitive behaviour in South Africa has been upheld.
A Chinese investor has acquired a controlling stake in South Africa's Swartland Winery, according to reports.
Jackson Family Wines (JFW) has acquired a property in South Africa's Stellenbosch region, its first foray into the country.
SPI Group is to switch distributor for its Stolichnaya vodka portfolio in South Africa, teaming up with wine and spirits maker KWV.
SABMiller has secured an agreement with The Coca-Cola Co and the majority shareholders in Coca-Cola Sabco to create the world's tenth largest Coca-Cola bottler.
The trade association for the South African wine industry has switched its Cape Wine trade exhibition from a biennial to a triennial event.
It seems to me that ads for alcohol used to fall into two categories - funny or cool. Nowadays, marketing men appear to be branching out into a third option - touchy feely.
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research