South Africa: Latest beverage news & analysis
Trade show opening speeches are rarely roof-raisers and Cape Wine 2015's today was true to form. However, Siobhan Thompson's welcome address did contain one particular point of interest.
Last week, the South African government put up for public discussion proposed changes to the country's alcohol regulations. The 36-page Liquor Policy Review has caused a few ripples as it contends not only that alcohol producers and retailers should be made liable for drink-related damage to consumers but that the minimum drinking age should be increased from 18 to 21.
Earlier today, Diageo confirmed plans to take full control of UB Group's United National Breweries. The Guinness producer will pay an initial US$22m for the 50% of the sorghum beer producer it does not already own. Here's some facts on United National Breweries:
Craft brewers and big beer firms may be on opposite sides of the trenches in the US, but the situation appears to be a little different in South Africa.
SABMiller’s South African soft drinks business is aiming for up to 5% medium-term annual volume growth, but has warned of current challenges such as a weakening Rand and social unrest in the lead-up to elections.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has taken a major step towards securing South African clearance for its takeover of SABMiller.
South Africa's competition commission has extended today's deadline for the conclusion of its investigation into the impending takeover of SABMiller by Anheuser-Busch InBev.
A strong performance in its home South African market drove double-digit sales and profits growth for Distell in the first half of the year, but the company warned of challenges ahead.
Jose Cuervo has launched so-called "sipping" Tequila Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado in South Africa.
South Africa may prove a bottleneck for Anheuser-Busch InBev as it awaits approval for its SABMiller takeover, an analyst has said.
The Coca-Cola Co is likely to accept Anheuser-Busch InBev as its African bottling partner after the brewer's takeover of SABMiller, an analyst has said.
Anheuser-Busch InBev is to list on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange on Friday.
Beam Suntory has snapped up a 50% holding in South Africa's ABV Brands spirits distributor.
The creation of Coca-Cola Beverages Africa has moved a step closer this week, after South Africa's competition commission recommended the conditional approval of the merger in the country.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has lined up a share listing in South Africa, as it looks to "demonstrate (its) commitment" to the African content.
The stand for Swartland Independent Producers sits in the far back corner of the Cape Wine exhibition hall, but its influence can be felt across the show floor.
Today is the opening day at Cape Wine 2015 and that means the morning was taken up by welcome speeches.
just-drinks is in South Africa for the Cape Wine exhibition this week, courtesy of Wines of South Africa (WOSA).
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends