Russian Federation: Latest beverage news & analysis
That Russia's beer market has turned from a roaring bear into a whimpering bunny is not news any more. The country's economic downturn, coupled with government action against alcohol retailing and advertising, has been the norm for the better part of around three years now.
Carlsberg's CFO has said the company is “a little more negative” on Russia's consumers after continued problems in the country forced a full-year forecast downgrade.
The CFO of Brown-Forman has offered hope to Russia's alcohol market, claiming that the company is "doing pretty well" in the challenging country.
That, in just the space of two days, Carlsberg has announced both a pay freeze and the closure of two Russian breweries, speaks volumes about the seriousness of the situation in its Eastern European stronghold.
It was more of the same for Carlsberg in its YTD results release yesterday as weakness in Eastern Europe continued to damage the bottom line.
Anheuser-Busch InBev and Anadolu Efes have declined to comment on speculation linking the two brewers to a merger of operations in Russia.
Russia may be about to relax restrictions on beer sales and advertising that have severely impacted international brewers in the country.
Heineken has confirmed its intention to cease production at its brewery in the Russian province of Kaliningrad.
Tito's Handmade Vodka is to launch in Russia after owner Fifth Generation secured a distribution deal with Ovo Spirits.
The Russian government has raised the minimum price for vodka in a bid to tackle counterfeit alcohol production in the country.
Authorities in Russia have passed a law to limit the size of beer bottles in the country to a maximum of 1.5 litres, in a bid to cut excessive drinking.
Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser is posting double-digit sales growth in Russia, according to a report.
Bacardi has signed a deal with Russian spirits producer Synergy to bottle its William Lawson's blended Scotch whisky in Moscow.
Carlsberg has said it will stay in Russia despite the country’s declining beer market as the brewer outlined a new strategy to revitalise its business.
Russian spirits exports dropped by two-fifths last year, according to a report.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends