Russian Federation: Latest beverage news & analysis
It was more of the same for Carlsberg in its YTD results release yesterday as weakness in Eastern Europe continued to damage the bottom line.
Carlsberg's CEO has said that Russia may reverse some of the regulations that has seen the country's beer market shrink and brewers close production sites.
Five years ago, Heineken announced it was cutting 140 jobs in Russia, with the suspension of brewing at one of its sites. The news came just weeks after the Dutch firm had revealed plans for another closure in the country.
Yesterday's headlines around Carlsberg were dominated by the group's half-year performance in Eastern Europe. And rightly so. The Danish brewer relies on the region for around 36% of its group profits.
Being a brewer in Russia continues to be a struggle, and that's putting it mildly. Carlsberg and Heineken both revealed today that their first-half beer volumes suffered in the country.
Finland's Altia Corp is to launch its Koskenkorva vodka brand in Russia ahead of the holiday season.
Carlsberg has welcomed the on-going passage of a bill to freeze beer duty in Russia, branding it a “positive development”.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has announced it is shutting down another of its Russian breweries – its fourth closure in the country in the last two years.
Carlsberg has suspended production at one of its Baltika Breweries' facilities in Russia.
Russia's food safety watchdog has announced an import ban on a number of beers and spirits produced in Ukraine, according to reports.
The Coca-Cola Co has said proposed legislation from Russia's Communist Party to tax sugary beverages would only harm Russia's economy.
US distiller Sazerac Co has said it has not heard from Russian authorities, despite reports that the company is facing a ban of its Kentucky Gentleman Bourbon brand in the country.
Heineken has welcomed Russia's decision to roll back a ban on beer ads around sports events, saying it will use the opportunity to promote responsible drinking.
Russia has temporarily lifted a ban on beer ads, allowing brewers to campaign around sports events until the end of 2018, according to local media.
The Russian Government is aiming to help nearly double the amount of vineyard hectares in the country by 2020, according to reports.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018