Philippines: Latest beverage news & analysis
After months of speculation, a buyer for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay finally emerged today (9 May). Philippines-based Emperador Inc has agreed to acquire the business from Diageo-controlled United Spirits for GBP430m (US$729m). Here, just-drinks offers a more detailed look at Emperador:
The final death count of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last week, is still a long way from being known. The relief effort is well underway, however, and drinks companies are among those that have moved to support those affected by the disaster.
San Miguel Corp's announcement this week that it plans to raise US$1.6bn to finance its diversification into heavy industries could signal that the firm is on its way out of the beer business.
Kirin Holdings is making its presence felt at San Miguel Brewery, as the Philippines-based brewer announces expansion plans.
Heineken International has signed a joint venture agreement with Philippines-based Asia Brewery as it looks to drive premiumisation in the region.
San Miguel Brewery has won consent from the Philippines government to move into soft drinks as it looks to capture growing demand in the category.
San Miguel Brewery is looking to expand into soft drinks as it says the category is growing faster than the Philippines' alcohol segment.
Tito's Handmade Vodka has launched in the Philippines after owner Fifth Generation secured a distribution deal.
San Miguel Corp has seen a single-digit lift in year-to-date sales from both its brewing operations and its combined spirits and soft drinks unit.
San Miguel Corp has been offered as much as US$6bn for the majority share in its namesake brewing unit, the company's president has said in an interview.
Philippines' San Miguel Brewery (SMB) Inc has signed a deal with Spain's Mahou-San Miguel in a bid to expand the global footprint of the lager brand.
Emperador Inc is set to acquire Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay from Diageo-controlled United Spirits for GBP430m (US$729m).
Brandy producer Emperador Inc has revealed it is in talks with Diageo-controlled United Spirits over acquiring Whyte & Mackay.
San Miguel Brewery has blamed high duty rates for dragging down its full-year volumes, while profits also slipped.
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends