Japan: Latest beverage news & analysis
Suntory Holdings reported an impressive rise in full-year group profits and sales yesterday (17 February). Here just-drinks take a closer look at the performance of its two drinks-related units:
A VAT increase in Japan next year could be an opportunity rather than a threat to soft drinks producers, according to an analyst.
It is shaping up to be one of the drinks industry's biggest events of the year. This week, Suntory got approval to list its food and soft drinks unit on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, paving the way for the group to raise as much as US$4.7bn.
Monster's entry into the Japanese market has seen initial success, but competition in the country's energy drinks sector remains “fierce”, according to an analyst.
The news this week that Asahi Group has returned to acquire P&N Beverages, and agreed to buy Charlie's Group, has renewed focus on the Japanese firm's overseas growth plan. Michelle Russell examines the market reaction.
Suntory Holdings is to hive off its beer business, placing the leftover spirits unit under the control of Beam Suntory Inc.
Kirin Holdings has reported a slip in first-half sales as its domestic drinks business suffered from effects of a rise in sales tax.
Asahi Group has reported a healthy rise in first-half profits as its beer, spirits and soft drinks businesses all saw a lift in sales.
Kirin expects to see “some recovery” in its beer sales in Japan for this year's second half after recording its biggest first-half drop for four years.
Suntory Holdings has yet to officially confirm reports it has appointed a new chief executive.
Suntory Holdings is looking to boost group annual sales to JYN4tn (US$39bn) by 2020 helped by acquisitions through its new Beam unit, according to reports.
Beam Suntory Inc has come into being, with Suntory Holdings' acquisition of Beam completing today.
Suntory has set out its plans for how its soft drinks business will handle an increase in Japan’s national sales tax rate next month.
Suntory Holdings has seen a significant rise in full-year profits and sales helped by the public listing of its Beverage & Food division.
Suntory's Beverage & Food unit is to dissolve its international division as part of an shake-up that follows the creation of a European arm.
Japanese beverage firm Otsuka Pharmaceutical is claiming a world-first with plans to send a can of Pokari Sweat to the moon.
Will Suntory's US$16bn move to buy Beam see a change in how the Bourbon producer's brands are advertised?
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research