India: Latest beverage news & analysis
Finally, after a near four-month delay United Spirits reported its full-year results today.
Finally, after almost 20 months, Diageo has got what it initially wanted in India. The company today (2 July) confirmed it now holds the majority of shares in United Spirits. This achievement, however, has cost way more than Diageo initially expected; to the tune of around US$1bn.
As expected, Diageo has stepped up its bid to take majority control of India’s United Spirits Ltd (USL). The UK-headquartered company has launched a tender offer for a further 26% stake in the UB Group unit, which, if successful would raise its stake to around 55%.
A survey of consumers in India has revealed that alcoholic beverages may have the most to gain from high levels of optimism in the country.
Five years ago this week talk of Diageo taking a stake in United Spirits first emerged. It set in train a series of events that this year saw the Smirnoff producer secure control of the Indian spirits firm.
PepsiCo has completed the franchising of its bottling operations in north and east India after expanding a partnership with Varun Beverages.
SABMiller has appointed a new MD for its India business as the current incumbent is stepping down after 17 months in the role.
United Spirits, the Diageo-controlled Indian drinks firm, has remained in the red in its half-year despite a rise in second-quarter volumes and sales.
United Breweries' (UB) first-half sales and volumes increased in line with the industry as strong beer found good growth.
Beam Suntory has begun bottling its flagship Bourbon, Jim Beam, in India as its steps up its focus on the key market.
Diageo is looking to crack India's RTD market with the launch of Smirnoff Ice and its stronger variant, Smirnoff Black, in the country.
United Spirits has continued its sluggish performance with a first-quarter net loss and fall in sales.
India's beer industry has called on the government to end laws that tax the category at the same rate as spirits, according to a report.
Amazon's India unit is to start delivering Coca-Cola Co products as it enters the country's food and beverage market for the first time, according to reports.
Vijay Mallya has been re-elected as chairman of United Spirits at the AGM of the Diageo-controlled firm.
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review