India: Latest beverage news & analysis
In November, the Indian Government passed reforms withdrawing the INR500 (US$7.40) and INR1,000 notes as legal tender in the country. The snap move was brought in to tackle counterfeit currency and so-called "black money" - undeclared payments.
Over the weekend, United Spirits reported its results for the first nine months of its fiscal-2017. Here's a closer look at the Diageo-controlled company's segment and brand performance in the nine months to the end of December.
Coca-Cola India has confirmed a temporary halt in production at its plant just outside Delhi, having been in communication with pollution control authorities.
Soft drinks marketers are always scratching their heads trying to establish new refreshment occasions for their drinks to exploit. Sometimes, these opportunities can be found in the most extraordinary channels. In Southern India, for example, salons have proved to be a surprise outlet for lemon & lime drinks like Sprite or 7 Up.
It's not every day that one can accuse the world's biggest spirits producer of being a bit stupid, but my peers in India are making hay today, doing just that. But, before wading in against Diageo and the call by its United Spirits unit in India for chairman Vijay Mallya to stand down, ask yourself this one question: What difference does it make?
United Spirits has reported a lift in sales for the first nine months of its fiscal year, although the Indian company's top-line in the third-quarter has been hampered by the country's demonetisation legislation in the third quarter.
Coca-Cola India has appointed Shehnaz Gill to lead its 14 bottlers in the country amid a shake-up of the The Coca-Cola Co unit's franchise-partner links.
The beer industry is well-placed to capitalise on rising incomes for India citizens, according to recently-released research, with the category poised to enjoy strong growth in the country in the years ahead.
The effects of India's recent demonetisation strategy will be felt for at least a year, according to a new analysis that paints a bleak picture of the fallout from the policy.
Diageo is considering upping its stake in United Spirits, according to a report.
Alcohol sold in a central Indian state will have to carry health warnings as part of a raft of government measures to curb consumption, according to reports.
Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages is reported to have lined up a new facility in India, in the central state of Madhya Pradesh.
Indian wine company Sula Vineyards has launched a premium blended whisky called Eclipse, the third spirit brand in its portfolio after Janus and the premium Cognac-style grape brandy J.
The Coca-Cola Co's India unit is to focus on better recruitment for its bottler network amid an HR overhaul in the country.
The introduction of a "demonetisation" policy in India last month looks poised to play havoc with international drinks companies with a presence in the country, although The Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo are better placed to cope than most, according to one analyst.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise.
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends