India: Latest beverage news & analysis
Coca-Cola India has confirmed a temporary halt in production at its plant just outside Delhi, having been in communication with pollution control authorities.
Soft drinks marketers are always scratching their heads trying to establish new refreshment occasions for their drinks to exploit. Sometimes, these opportunities can be found in the most extraordinary channels. In Southern India, for example, salons have proved to be a surprise outlet for lemon & lime drinks like Sprite or 7 Up.
It's not every day that one can accuse the world's biggest spirits producer of being a bit stupid, but my peers in India are making hay today, doing just that. But, before wading in against Diageo and the call by its United Spirits unit in India for chairman Vijay Mallya to stand down, ask yourself this one question: What difference does it make?
Finally, after a near four-month delay United Spirits reported its full-year results today.
Finally, after almost 20 months, Diageo has got what it initially wanted in India. The company today (2 July) confirmed it now holds the majority of shares in United Spirits. This achievement, however, has cost way more than Diageo initially expected; to the tune of around US$1bn.
United Breweries has posted a strong jump in Q1 profits and sales as volumes growth outpaced the market.
The wine arm of India's United Spirits has launched its first new product since the unit came under Diageo control.
The Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo are set to ramp up their fizzy fruit juice portfolios in India once authorities standardise food safety guidelines on the category, a report has said.
Heineken has been told it is too early to seek first refusal on Vijay Mallya's United Breweries shares.
Diageo has confirmed a restructure at Indian unit United Spirits, but has declined to comment on local reports that the shake-up could cost 300 jobs.
Diageo's United Spirits division in India has identified almost US$185m-worth of "improper transactions" involving its former chairman, Vijay Mallya.
PepsiCo franchisee Varun Beverages has filed a preliminary prospectus with India's Securities and Exchange Board for an initial public offer (IPO).
The Coca-Cola Co's Indian unit has said it aims to make Maaza a US$1bn brand by 2023.
The southeast Indian state of Tamil Nadu has announced the closure of 500 state-controlled alcohol shops.
The Indian state government of Karnataka has given PepsiCo permission to build a major new soft drinks and snacks manufacturing plant, 200km south-west of Bangalore.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise.
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review