Czech Republic: Latest beverage news & analysis
Reports this week that Pernod Ricard is looking to offload Czech liqueur brand Becherovka are on the money. Reuters' story on Tuesday (1 April) was not an April Fool.
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with the head of Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar, Jirí Bocek discussed the company's ownership structure and its position in the Czech beer market. Here, in part two, he tells us about his plans beyond Czech and gives us his view on the never-ending legal tussle with Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Last month, I travelled to Czech to take in a tour of Budejovicky Budvar's brewery in the south of the country. While there, I was granted an audience with group director Jirí Bocek. During our time together, we discussed the firm's ownership structure, its plans for future expansion, and that legal row.
It's been an interesting few days for me, having been to Czech for the first time, to visit Budejovicky Budvar.
This week, just-drinks is in Czech, visiting Budejovicky Budvar. Ahead of an interview with the brewer's general director, which will run next week, here are some facts about the firm, its home town, its facilities, and its brands.
Stock Spirits has made its long-awaited return to the M&A arena, purchasing three spirits brands from Bohemia Sekt in Czech.
Budejovicky Budvar has reported a near-10% rise in sales volumes in 2015.
The Stoli Group is to switch its distributors in Central Europe.
Budejovicky Budvar has launched a third limited edition run of its Bud B: Strong iteration.
Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar has reported "record" full-year sales and volumes increases, but volumes growth in exports slowed after a strong 2013.
Pivovary Lobkowicz has taken full control of fellow Czech brewer Pivovar Rychtár by acquiring the 30% stake it did not already own in the group.
Budejovicky Budvar is rolling out a cherry-flavoured extension of its namesake beer brand to Germany, the UK and the US.
SABMiller is to launch a new range of cans for its non-alcoholic beer brand Birell that changes colour when the liquid reaches its optimum temperature.
Scottish brewer Innis & Gunn has rolled out two of its beers to the Czech Republic to target the country's developing craft beer market.
Heineken has branded reports that it is in negotiation to sell its Czech operations to Molson Coors as “speculative rumours”.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”.
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits