Czech Republic: Latest beverage news & analysis
Reports this week that Pernod Ricard is looking to offload Czech liqueur brand Becherovka are on the money. Reuters' story on Tuesday (1 April) was not an April Fool.
It's been an interesting few days for me, having been to Czech for the first time, to visit Budejovicky Budvar.
This week, just-drinks is in Czech, visiting Budejovicky Budvar. Ahead of an interview with the brewer's general director, which will run next week, here are some facts about the firm, its home town, its facilities, and its brands.
It may be 170 years old, but the “original golden lager” is getting a new lease of life from the explosion in popularity of craft beer in Europe.
Several analysts believe that CVC Capital will struggle to raise serious offers for its StarBev beer business if it is intent on selling up. Here, just-drinks looks at the market chatter.
Budejovicky Budvar has reported a near-10% rise in sales volumes in 2015.
The Stoli Group is to switch its distributors in Central Europe.
Budejovicky Budvar has launched a third limited edition run of its Bud B: Strong iteration.
Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar has reported "record" full-year sales and volumes increases, but volumes growth in exports slowed after a strong 2013.
Pivovary Lobkowicz has taken full control of fellow Czech brewer Pivovar Rychtár by acquiring the 30% stake it did not already own in the group.
Budejovicky Budvar is rolling out a cherry-flavoured extension of its namesake beer brand to Germany, the UK and the US.
SABMiller is to launch a new range of cans for its non-alcoholic beer brand Birell that changes colour when the liquid reaches its optimum temperature.
Scottish brewer Innis & Gunn has rolled out two of its beers to the Czech Republic to target the country's developing craft beer market.
Heineken has branded reports that it is in negotiation to sell its Czech operations to Molson Coors as “speculative rumours”.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has confirmed its purchase of Pivovar Samson in Czech and has warned that the transaction “further strengthens” its position in the legal row with Budejovicky Budvar.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”.
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends