Belgium: Latest beverage news & analysis
The biggest deal in the history of the drinks industry has been given the green light, as Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up the US$107.3bn takeover of SABMiller. But, the road ahead looks rocky, with competition issues, market tussles and potentially more divestment in the coming months.
Earlier today, Anheuser-Busch InBev reported a drop in Q3 and year-to-date net profits and sales, although the company saw sales rise in organic terms. Here just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance in its global regions:
Although the Scottish Government's initiative to put a minimum unit pricing (MUP) on alcohol has been referred to the European Court of Justice, some members of Scotland's alcohol industry are backing the initiative to tackle alcohol harm in the country.
Earlier today (7 May), Anheuser-Busch InBev reported a rise in first-quarter group sales, but net profits were dragged down by higher finance costs. Here just-drinks takes a look at the brewer's performance in its global markets:
Anheuser-Busch InBev reports its third-quarter and year-to-date results on Thursday (31 October). Here just-drinks takes a look at the Leuven-headquartered group's fortunes in the last quarter.
Digital marketing will be a regulatory “battleground” in the next few years as the European Union attempts to deal with its implications for alcohol, the head of SpiritsEurope has said.
The European Union has seen the number of breweries rise again in 2014 – doubling the number six years earlier.
Authorities in Belgium have raised the rate of excise tax on alcohol in the country, drawing the ire of spirits producers.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has seen reported profits drop in its third quarter, dragging the year-to-date down.
The European Union seized about EUR2.1m (US$2.3m) in counterfeit or fake beverages at its borders in 2014, a marked rise on the year before, according to a European Commission report.
Greater investment is needed in educational initiatives to tackle alcohol abuse and especially under-age drinking, according to trade association SpiritsEurope.
The European Commission has proposed some modest help for the European Union's wine producers, who are struggling with a shrinking share of world markets and falling consumption in the region.
All alcohol containers sold in the European Union should display calorie information, according to a parliamentary committee in the politico-economic bloc.
Anheuser-Busch InBev is poised to propose a new chairman at its AGM next month.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has confirmed it is being investigated by Belgium's tax authorities over one of its subsidiaries in its home country.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts