Australia: Latest beverage news & analysis
This month, Chris Losh turns his attention to the Australian wine industry, and finds a country struggling with scant opportunities and structural problems in its number one export market.
Asia is emerging as an increasingly attractive and significant destination for Australia’s wine exports, which experienced their strongest period of growth since the peak of 2007 in the 12 months to the end of September.
Today, Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) reported its first-half results for 2015, revealing a slight increase in profits and sales. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the Sydney-based company's performance in the six-month period, by region and sector.
Casella Family Brands hit the acquisition trail late last year when it snapped up Barossa Valley producer Peter Lehmann Wines for AUD57m (US$49.8m). Here, just-drinks talks to the Australian firm's global marketing & export sales manager, Libby Nutt, about the plans ahead for the brand and Casella's star performer Yellow Tail.
Today, Treasury Wine Estates reported a sales and operating profits increase in the first six months of its fiscal year, hinting at a turnaround in fortunes for the group. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the Australian-headquartered company's performance by region:
Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) has unveiled a new Victorian wine range as it ramps up its "regional gems" strategy announced in February.
Pernod Ricard is to close its Morris Winery in Australia before the end of the year.
Anheuser-Busch InBev is to pay Kirin up to AUD300m (US$223m) in compensation after terminating a distribution agreement in Australia.
Aldi’s plans to expand alcohol sales capabilities to more of its Australian stores have been curtailed by regulators in the state of Western Australia.
Carlton & United Breweries has added both premium and mid-strength variants to its Cougar and Black Douglas RTD ranges, following growth in the category.
McWilliam’s Wines has followed its return to family control with the appointment of chairman Jeff McWilliam as its CEO.
Treasury Wine Estates is to launch Blossom Hill in Australia as it starts to expand distribution of the former Diageo wine brands acquired at the start of the year.
Kirin Brewery's Australia unit, Lion, is looking to expand Byron Bay Brewing Co's distribution after adding the east coast brewer to its craft beer portfolio.
The Coca-Cola Co's South Pacific unit has launched its Glaceau Smartwater brand in Australia.
New Australian functional drinks maker PERKii Pty has launched its first product, a juice and water probiotic drink that contains bacteria in microgels.
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news.
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard to shut down Morris Winery
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview