Australia: Latest beverage news & analysis
This month, Chris Losh turns his attention to the Australian wine industry, and finds a country struggling with scant opportunities and structural problems in its number one export market.
Asia is emerging as an increasingly attractive and significant destination for Australia’s wine exports, which experienced their strongest period of growth since the peak of 2007 in the 12 months to the end of September.
Today, Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) reported its first-half results for 2015, revealing a slight increase in profits and sales. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the Sydney-based company's performance in the six-month period, by region and sector.
Casella Family Brands hit the acquisition trail late last year when it snapped up Barossa Valley producer Peter Lehmann Wines for AUD57m (US$49.8m). Here, just-drinks talks to the Australian firm's global marketing & export sales manager, Libby Nutt, about the plans ahead for the brand and Casella's star performer Yellow Tail.
Today, Treasury Wine Estates reported a sales and operating profits increase in the first six months of its fiscal year, hinting at a turnaround in fortunes for the group. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the Australian-headquartered company's performance by region:
Kirin's Australia unit, Lion, is to move a portion of its brewing operations away from Tasmania, resulting in around 39 job losses.
The Coca-Cola Co's South Pacific unit has launched the Fuze iced tea brand in Australia.
Kirin's Australia unit, Lion, has launched a 0.9% abv beer under its Hahn brand as the company ups it focus on the low- and no-alcohol segment.
Yellow Tail owner Casella Family Brands has acquired Howcroft Estate Vineyards, according to local reports.
Kirin's Australian unit, Lion, has discontinued its draught beer system Tap King in another blow for attempts to induce consumer demand for at-home kegs.
Pernod Ricard's Jacob's Creek Expedition range - Product Launch
Australia's wine exports hit their highest value level for eight years in 2015, according to official figures released earlier today.
Treasury Wine Estates has said it expects operating profits for the first six months of its current fiscal year to come in ahead of analyst consensus.
Accolade Wines has declined to comment on Australian reports that owner CHAMP Private Equity is considering an IPO for the company.
Yellow Tail winemaker Casella Family Brands (CFB) has continued its premiumisation drive with the acquisition of South Australian winery Brand's Laira from McWilliam's Wines.
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news.
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research