Australia: Latest beverage news & analysis
This month, Chris Losh turns his attention to the Australian wine industry, and finds a country struggling with scant opportunities and structural problems in its number one export market.
Asia is emerging as an increasingly attractive and significant destination for Australia’s wine exports, which experienced their strongest period of growth since the peak of 2007 in the 12 months to the end of September.
Today, Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) reported its first-half results for 2015, revealing a slight increase in profits and sales. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the Sydney-based company's performance in the six-month period, by region and sector.
Casella Family Brands hit the acquisition trail late last year when it snapped up Barossa Valley producer Peter Lehmann Wines for AUD57m (US$49.8m). Here, just-drinks talks to the Australian firm's global marketing & export sales manager, Libby Nutt, about the plans ahead for the brand and Casella's star performer Yellow Tail.
Today, Treasury Wine Estates reported a sales and operating profits increase in the first six months of its fiscal year, hinting at a turnaround in fortunes for the group. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the Australian-headquartered company's performance by region:
Kirin Brewery's Australia unit, Lion, is looking to expand Byron Bay Brewing Co's distribution after adding the east coast brewer to its craft beer portfolio.
The Coca-Cola Co's South Pacific unit has launched its Glaceau Smartwater brand in Australia.
New Australian functional drinks maker PERKii Pty has launched its first product, a juice and water probiotic drink that contains bacteria in microgels.
Australian wine company Brown Brothers has agreed to acquire the Innocent Bystander brand from founder Phil Sexton, according to reports.
Schlumberger Wein-und Sektkellerei has switched Australian distribution of its Mozart Chocolate Liqueur range from Beam Suntory to Spirits Platform.
Bacardi and Lion have ended their 13-year joint venture in the Australian market.
Australian Whisky Holdings has bought a minority share in Tasmania's Redlands Estate Distillery, producer of single malt whisky.
Casella Family Brands is to transition its UK business from formerly Diageo-owned Percy Fox to a new in-house unit, ahead of a broader assault on Europe.
Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) has upped its chief executive's basic pay by 30% after his turnaround policies helped spark a revival in the company's fortunes.
German-headquartered supermarket Aldi has confirmed that it is to close its online alcohol store in Australia.
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends