UK: Young & Co's deputy chairman to retire

By | 18 January 2007

The deputy chairman of UK brewer Young & Co's is to retire.

James Young will stand down at the end of March, the brewer said today (18 January). Young, 55, has spent over 30 years at the company and also holds the position of director of production and distribution. 

The brewer added that a new deputy chairman will be appointed in due course.

Young's chairman Chris Sandland said: "He has played a key role in the many awards Young's has received over the years for the quality and originality of its beers and, more recently, has been involved in the smooth transfer of Young's brewing activities from Wandsworth to our Wells & Young's joint venture with Charles Wells in Bedford.

"The completion of this at the end of last year has led James to decide that now is a good time for him to retire from the business.

"We thank him for his enormous contribution to the company over the years and wish him well for a long and happy retirement."

Yesterday, Wells & Young's, in which Young's holds a 40% stake, bought the production, marketing and sales rights to the Courage ale portfolio from Scottish & Newcastle.

As part of the deal, Wells & Young's and S&N will form a joint venture business, to be called Courage Brands. Wells & Young's will hold an 83% stake with S&N keeping hold of the remaining 17%.

Sectors: Beer & cider

View next/previous articles

Currently reading -

UK: Young & Co's deputy chairman to retire

There are currently no comments on this article

Be the first to comment on this article

just-drinks tagline

Not a member? Join here

Decrease font sizeDecrease font sizeDecrease font size Increase font sizeIncrease font sizeIncrease font size Comment on this article Email this to a friend Print this page