UK: Young & Co's Brewery content with Q1
Young's confident on year ahead
Brewer and pub group Young & Co's Brewery has pronounced itself pleased with first quarter trading in a difficult UK market.
Sales at the group's managed pubs rose by 2% for the three months to the end of June, compared to the same period of last year, Young's said yesterday (13 July).
"We have made a good start to the current year with trading in line with the board's expectations," said chairman Christopher Sandland at the company's annual general meeting.
"Whilst we remain watchful of the economic outlook, we believe that we are well-placed to manage any further challenges that may emerge and we remain confident about our prospects for this financial year," he said.
Between 30 and 35 pubs are closing down every week in the UK, according to the latest British Beer and Pub Association figures.
Last month, Young's said that it was cautious on the year ahead amid the risk that Government austerity measures could "derail consumers' fragile confidence".
The firm's Wells & Young's brewing venture increased like-for-like profits by 3.6% to GBP2m for the year to the end of March. The division has recently launched Mongoose lager as a rival to Molson Coors' Cobra.
Part three of our annual review of the year brings us Chris Mercer's look at how 2010 has treated the world's brewers....
M&A activity within the beer sector this year has been limited to just the one big transaction, in Mexico. Larry Nelson believes, however, that 2010 could have served as the calm before the storm, wit...
Wells & Young's will be forced to cut jobs as a result of losing the rights to Corona Extra and Red Stripe lagers in the UK....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research