UK: Young & Co considers brewery closure - report
Young & Co may close its Ram brewery in London, one of the oldest in the UK. The brewery, based in Wandsworth, south London, may be replaced by shops and apartments.
A report in today's Daily Telegraph says that the company is considering a review of its current position. A spokesman told the newspaper: "The Wandsworth planning department and Young & Co are in the process of putting together a potential development plan for Wandsworth town centre, including the brewery site." The company would hope to remain in the Wandsworth area should it decide to relocate.
Talks between the brewer and the planning department are still in the early stages, with a decision expected in 2005, if not later.
The brewery has been in Wandsworth since 1851.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Analysis - SABMiller to add bolt-ons in Africa?
- India: Everyone's Favourite Spirits Market
- A-B InBev's Move on Tennent's Super Makes Sense
- Brand Diversification Driving Craft Brewery Growth
- Comment - SABMiller and Diageo: A Tie-Up Too Far
- Diageo scraps Arthur's Day, but singer left sad
- SodaStream silent on John Lewis pullout in UK
- William Grant sinks GBP185,000 into "No" camp
- PepsiCo CEO sees "profound" change in US consumers
- SABMiller launches Grolsch in a jar - video