CHINA: Yao Ming suing Coca-Cola over image
Underlining that it is the principle of the matter which Zao Ming is primarily concerned with, the player is suing Coca-Cola for just CNY1.00 (US$0.12), the price of one can of Coke in China. But he has also demanded a public apology on nationwide media from the US soft drinks giant.
"The only purpose of this lawsuit is to protect Yao Ming's legal rights, his rights of image and name in particular," Yao's website proclaimed. "The amount of compensation is not a focus."
The row stems from the fact that Yao has a personal endorsement contract with Pepsi but the Chinese basketball team, for whom he plays, has a corporate contract with Coca-Cola. This has been Coca-Cola's defence from the outset.
"We insist that we have the legal right to use the images of any members of the Chinese men's basketball team on our products," Coca-Cola spokeswoman, May Zhai, reiterated. "According to our experience in other countries, we only need to sign the agreement with the team and there is no need for us to talk to every individual athlete to ask for their permission."
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
A departing PepsiCo executive is to be handed a US$4.56m package spread over the next two years for his consultancy services....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has signed a letter of intent to acquire Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Charlotte (Pepsi Charlotte) for an undisclosed sum....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
Pepsi-Co. has been removed from a Syrian blacklist of companies which have dealings with Israel, according to a report in the official Syrian newspaper al-Thawra....
Pepsi has launched a new 50cl silver-coloured bottle for its Pepsi light soft drink as part of a major advertising campaign to roll out this summer in Spain....
PepsiCo's president and CFO, Indra Nooyi, has been forced to apologise for remarks she made whilst speaking to the 2005 graduating class of Columbia University's Business School in New York City last ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review