USA: Yakult and Danone in Alliance Discussions
With such well known brands as Yakult and Actimel amongst others, Yakult Honsha Co, Ltd (Japan) and Danone Group (France) are two strong leaders in the field of probiotic fermented products, the fastest growing segment in the fresh dairy industry worldwide.Yakult and Danone Group have reviewed and discussed their histories and strategies. With mutual respect of their corporate philosophies, both companies have formed a team that has started discussions for an alliance in the area of probiotics.The purpose of discussions is to strengthen their global leadership in probiotics and further accelerate the growth of the segment by leveraging on Yakult and Danone Group respective strengths. They will encompass both companies' marketing strategies, cooperation in R&D and other possible areas of synergies, cross-shareholdings, as well as possible exchange of directors in the future.Danone Group currently owns, directly or indirectly close to 5% of Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd's share capital, which it acquired in the stock market.With 1998 consolidated sales of 2.1 bn euros, Yakult Honsha had its origin in 1935 with the creation of Yakult by Dr. Shirota. It has developed as a leader in the field of dairy probiotics and derivatives, through brands such as Yakult, Joie or Mil Mil. The company has built over time a unique direct sales organization of more than 54,000 "Yakult" ladies in Japan and close to 28,000 ladies outside Japan, with a strong presence mainly in Asia and South America, through majority or minority-owned partnerships. The company is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.Groupe Danone is one of the world leaders in fresh dairy products, biscuits and water, with 1999 consolidated sales of 13.3 bn euros.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015