CHINA: Wuliangye Yibin warns of change after H1 slowdown - report
Wuliangye Yibin has warned China's spirits market is going though an adjustment after it posted a slowdown in profits growth in first-half results, according to local reports.
The Sichuan-based firm, which specialises in producing baijiu, saw H1 net profits jump 15% jump to CNY5.79bn (US$947m) in the six months to the end of June, Xinhua news agency reported today (15 August). Sales were up by 3% to CNY15.52bn.
The increase lagged Wuliangye's full-year results when profits climbed by 61%. The company, founded in 1998, blamed “difficulties and challenges” in the market for the slowdown, it was reported.
A clampdown on gifting to civil servants and a ban on alcohol at luxury banquets, introduced late last year, has hit the performance of drinks companies in China, including foreign players Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
According to a survey last month, baijiu will be the worst affected, and producers should brace for a 20% drop in profits.
Antonia McCahon has been Pernod Ricard's head of digital for four-and-a-half months, taking on the newly-created post after working with a range of consumer goods companies. just-drinks caught up with...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Following a flurry of activity in the Tequila sector last month, has Diageo finally returned to the point it had previously reached when it handled Jose Cuervo? Richard Woodard compares then to now....
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
We all know by now that, if you're working for an international spirits company and the Chinese market is a big deal for you, then you haven't been sleeping too well for the past year or so....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future