CHINA: Wuliangye Yibin warns of change after H1 slowdown - report
Wuliangye Yibin has warned China's spirits market is going though an adjustment after it posted a slowdown in profits growth in first-half results, according to local reports.
The Sichuan-based firm, which specialises in producing baijiu, saw H1 net profits jump 15% jump to CNY5.79bn (US$947m) in the six months to the end of June, Xinhua news agency reported today (15 August). Sales were up by 3% to CNY15.52bn.
The increase lagged Wuliangye's full-year results when profits climbed by 61%. The company, founded in 1998, blamed “difficulties and challenges” in the market for the slowdown, it was reported.
A clampdown on gifting to civil servants and a ban on alcohol at luxury banquets, introduced late last year, has hit the performance of drinks companies in China, including foreign players Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
According to a survey last month, baijiu will be the worst affected, and producers should brace for a 20% drop in profits.
Antonia McCahon has been Pernod Ricard's head of digital for four-and-a-half months, taking on the newly-created post after working with a range of consumer goods companies. just-drinks caught up with...
Following a flurry of activity in the Tequila sector last month, has Diageo finally returned to the point it had previously reached when it handled Jose Cuervo? Richard Woodard compares then to now....
We all know by now that, if you're working for an international spirits company and the Chinese market is a big deal for you, then you haven't been sleeping too well for the past year or so....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020