UK: WSET appoints honorary president
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) has named its first honorary president.
The UK-based drinks industry body said late last week that Michael Broadbent MW will assume the position from 1 August.
"I'm delighted to be honoured in this way," Broadbent said. "The WSET, its core values and its drive to deliver wine and spirit education to the very highest of standards the world over, are central to the continued growth of the industry and I will do all I can to further their cause."
Ian Harris, the WSET's chief executive, added: "We are very pleased to have Michael as our first honorary president. Michael is one of the international wine industry's most admired figures and, as the trust continues to grow in the UK and expand its reach over the globe, it is very fitting that a name of such world-renowned stature has accepted this appointment."
Broadbent has spent over 50 years in the wine industry. Having qualified as a Master of Wine in 1960, he went on to become senior director of the wine department at London auction house Christie's through to the 1990s. Since 1986, Broadbent has been president of the International Wine and Food Society as well as an honorary member of the Académie du Vin de Bordeaux.
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends