SWEDEN: Worrying time for spirits at Systembolaget
Systembolaget has seen sales at its stores rise slightly in the first five months of this year.
The Swedish alcohol retailing monopoly said yesterday (12 June) that sales, measured in pure alcohol, from January to May were up by 4.8% on the corresponding period a year earlier, coming in at 14.3m litres.
While wine and strong beer - the only type of beer Systembolaget sells - increasing sales in the period by 5% (56.8m litres) and 6.8% (70.8m) respectively, spirits sales were flat, rising by only 0.8% to 7m litres. For the month of May, meanwhile, spirits dipped by 0.9%.
Cider was the only sector which registered a fall in sales, of 2.4%.
The just-drinks 2006 harvest round-up continues with a look at this year's vintage in France's most northerly wine regions of the Loire, Alsace and Champagne. Lyn Parry reports from the Loire, while D...
During the festive period, designated drivers or those who simply need to give their bodies a rest from rich food and alcohol will find a wider array than ever of interesting and exotic soft drinks to...
SABMiller has appointed Kristin Kaplan Wolfe as head of alcohol policy for the group....
German drinks group Eckes has reportedly taken full control of fruit juice subsidiary Eckes-Granini....
Anheuser-Busch has echoed InBev's excitement at the pair's tie-up in the US. The global brewers announced late last week that A-B will become the exclusive distributor of InBev's premium European beer...
Systembolaget has won the first round in its fight to maintain its right to ban individuals from having alcohol brought into Sweden from other EU nations....
New Zealand's Beer, Wine and Spirits Council looks set to close down at the end of the month after Lion Nathan decided pull out of it....
The impending total ban on alcohol advertising in Thailand in all forms of media has been delayed, according to local reports....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research