UK: World rollout planned for Budweiser's award winning "Whassup" campaign
Based on the real life greeting exchanged by the advert's director and stars, the series has spawned a catch-phrase craze and picked up the prestigious Grand Prix award in Cannes.
"Whassup?! Has been a phenomenon in the US, and the response from adult consumers over there has been overwhelmingly positive. It is growing in popularity around the world," said Budweiser marketing manager, Kerry Babe.
Four advertisements will be running in the UK including "True," the Grand Clio Award-winning 60-second spot, and three 30-second spots, "Call Waiting," "Pizza Guy" and "Girlfriend."
The response in the advertisements is "Watchin' the game, havin' a Bud."
"The simple, funny storyline is easy to pick up and anyone who has ever had their own special language among a group of friends will get it straight away," said Babe.
Charles Stone, a director with Storm Films in New York, has exchanged the "Whassup" greeting with his friends for about 15 years, and in 1998 he created a short film titled "True" in which he and his friends sit around an apartment and exchange the greeting.
Charles Stone commenting on the advertisement said: "When we decided to make an ad similar to the film "True", I was concerned with whether the magic would still be there. I really applaud Budweiser for the fact that we didn't have to hammer home the product. I honestly think they took a back seat with this campaign. You do not see a lot of Bud bottles and there is no music at the end of the ads. They allowed Budweiser to shine through the message."
A worldwide rollout is planned, but the campaign was officially launched in the UK on September 18, and will run until Christmas. Big Brother fans would have seen the first 'unofficial' run of "Whassup" during Friday's Big Brother final.
As the US distillers' association, Discus, for the first time in its history publishes its annual report into spirits advertising, which includes complaints against its self-regulatory code, David Rob...
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets