LIWF 2013 - UK: World Cup, Olympics could help Brazil triple wine exports
Brazil is focusing on eight markets
Brazil is aiming to triple its wine exports on the back of next year's World Cup and the 2016 Rio Olympics, the country's wine body has said.
Wines of Brasil said today (22 May) it will target US$9m in sales by the end of 2016, up from last year's $3.2m globally. The body is holding events across eight international markets in the lead up to the Brazil World Cup, including a strong presence at this year's London International Wine Fair.
Speaking exclsuively to just-drinks at the LIWF, Wines of Brasil spokesperson Ana Paula Kleinowski said: “Everyone has their eyes on Brazil. People are looking for something different and they can see that the quality is there.”
Kleinowski said the World Cup and Olympics give Brazil a window of opportunity to gain attention from the wine world.
“Before, traders weren't open to us,” she said. “They were looking and they were tasting but they couldn't see how to sell our product. But the events have given them a reason and our campaign will grow more and more.”
The World Cup will open in Brazil on 12 June next year.
An English wine producer at LIWF said yesterday that consolidation and a "few failures" in the industry are likely, despite the country producing some of the world's best sparkling wine.
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Luxury rum heads for slowdown as US growth stalls
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts