FRANCE: Wood chips get AOC ban
The use of wood chips in French AOC winemaking has been banned despite recent support for their use by the French government.
The Institut National des Appellations d'Origine (INAO) - the regulator of France's AOC wines - announced the ruling late last week. The decision came despite the use of wood chips being made legal by the EU in September.
"This decision basically means we do not have the same rights as our competitors," said Roland Feredj, director of Bordeaux's regional wine body, the Conseil Interprofessionnel du Vins de Bordeaux (CIVB).
The INAO ruling stated that wood chips do not fit with the spirit of "appellations" and could strain the link with "terroir". Experimentation with chips will be allowed under special dispensation.
The news that Yves Bénard is the front-runner for the top job at the INAO is good news for reformers in the French wine industry....
With the latest announcement of the new director of INAO (Institut national de l'origine et de la qualité) as Marion Zalay, all key posts are now filled....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
Faced with growing demand and limited supply, Champagne growers are mulling extending the existing production hectarage by just under 10%....
Yves Bénard, general director of the wine and champagne division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, has today (12 February) been appointed to lead the INAO (Institut National de l'Origine et de la q...
A new-style Armagnac will be on offer to consumers in France this year....
Inter Rhône has appointed an export manager for the UK....
The general director of the wine and Champagne division of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton looks to be the front runner to take charge of the Institut National de l'Origine et de la qualité....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages