S AFRICA: Wines with new ethical stamp to be unveiled at Cape Wine event
Click through to view the new stamp
The first South African wines to carry a new ethical stamp, aimed at ensuring fair industry working conditions, will be unveiled at a trade event this month.
Twenty-six wines from Fairview, Robertson Winery, Distell, Durbanville Hills and Spier will appear at Cape Wine 2012 with the stamp, Wines of South Africa said today (12 September).
The stamp will prove that producers have adhered to the Wine and Agricultural Industry Ethical Trade Association's code. The code is based on the International Labour Conventions’ Ethical Trading Initiative and South African labour legislation.
The move is aimed at "highlighting the priority South African producers give to implementing fair working conditions throughout the industry," WOSA said.
Su Birch, WOSA's CEO, said the first batch of wines are "the trailblazers who are setting an important precedent for the industry in its efforts to fast-track the implementation of fair labour practices on wine farms and in cellars”.
Producers awarded the stamp will be able to use it for one year, WOSA said. A company will then be required to renew the agreement annually for subsequent vintages.
Cape Wine 2012 takes place at Cape Town International Convention Centre from 25-27 September. Just-drinks will be reporting from the event.
The penultimate part of just-drinks' review of 2012 looks at a tumultuous year for the wine category....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research