S AFRICA: Wines of South Africa votes in ex-banker as new chairman
WoSA has elected a new chairman
Wines of South Africa (WoSA) has elected the former CEO of First National Bank as its new chairman.
Michael Jordaan, 46, replaces Johann Krige, who is retiring after five years in the role. After being voted in by the trade body's board earlier today (9 May), Jordaan tweeted: “Honoured. Hope to help further improve image of our wines abroad.”
He describes himself as a “venture capitalist and wine enthusiast”. Jordaan is also currently chairman of Mxit Lifestyle, which operates South African instant messaging app Mxit.
Prior to that, he spent nine years as CEO of South Africa's First National Bank, before leaving last year.
He began his career as an officer in the South African navy.
Krige said: "WOSA can benefit substantially from his (Jordaan's) entrepreneurial passion, while his strategic, disruptive business philosophy could well unlock the true value of South African wines internationally.
"His creative thinking and capacity to see opportunity could not come at a better time as the country seeks to broaden its reach and establish itself in new markets."
The trade body appointed Siobhan Thompson as its new CEO last year, following the departure of Su Birch after 13 years in the role.
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends