FRANCE: Winemakers far from festive as exports plunge
French wine faces a bleak 2009 after exports fell by 15% in volume and 12% in value in October, the industry's export body has warned.
The October figures are the latest from France's Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS), which says the global economic slowdown is starting to bite hard.
FEVS assistant general secretary, Renaud Gaillard, told just-drinks today (23 December): "While we don't yet have figures for November, the feedback we have from our members and their customers is that last month was worse than October.
"Normally, shipments during these two months, especially November, are buoyed by orders generated by the Christmas and New Year festivities, but this year it just hasn't happened."
As for 2009, Gaillard said that all visibility has gone from the market.
"Importers and distributors are running down their stocks rather than renewing them. There are extreme downward pressures on prices while producers and traders are worried about the financial implications of maintaining relatively high stock levels. We're in a very difficult period."
Wine exports for the first nine months of 2008 rose 3.7% in value, but were artificially boosted by high prices for top Bordeaux wines, the FEVS said.
Laurent-Perrier, which this week reported full-year sales down 27%, has defended its decision to raise prices for its Champagne as many of its key markets faced recession....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
French wines and spirits exports will fall 20% in value this year, trade body Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS) has said....
The French Treasury has signed a deal with the country's wine and spirits trade bodies FEVS and AGEV to help struggling wine firms gain access to credit....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends