FRANCE: Wineandco.com Forced to Close International Operations.
Online wine merchant wineandco.com has decided to close down its international operations to focus solely on its core home market of France."The company has been running for a year and we are learning what works and what doesn't work. We have decided to withdraw our international operations so we can build up a French market which has been the real market success," said Seth Lewis, whom was general manager of wineandco's UK B2B operations until last Friday when the company ceased trading.He blames stiff competition from traditional retailers and the difficulties of convincing UK consumers of the benefits of online shopping as the key factors for the company's demise."The UK market is very complicated and diffuse, with retailers, specialist suppliers and established wine merchants with generations and generations of experience fighting to capture the consumer's interest. In the cold light of day, we asked ourselves does the international market really need another wine supplier? We decided our goal was to become market leader in France," Lewis said.During August/September wineandco's French sales hit well above FF500,000. He declined to comment on the sales figures of the international operations.Wine lovers in the UK, Germany and Italy, however, will still be able to access the website and order wine. Wineandco's headquarters in Aix-en-Provence will supply the wine. The delivery time will be extended from seven days to ten days and only special fine wine offers will be available to begin with, Lewis admitted.Only a handful of redundancies have been made with the UK operation's eight staff the highest casualty rate. Most staff have been either integrated into the French operations or moved on to other B2C.com companies wineandco said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research