US: Wine vintage requirements lowered
US tax authorities have approved changes in vintage regulations for wine.
The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau has cut the minimum content requirement from a certain vintage from 95% to 85% on wine from state and county designations.
The change was opposed by California's Winegrape Growers, who argued that wineries would carry over cheap surpluses from previous years for future blending. The organisation argued that consumers want vintage-blending information included on labels.
Supporters said the new regulations would improve the taste of young wines using a blend of older wine, and provide the US industry with a boost to compete with Australia and other competitors that have lower vintage regulations.
Napa Valley Vintners suggested that wine created from blended vintages should not bear a vintage date.
Troubles are mounting for the bankrupt Pittsburgh Brewing Co., with a financing plan facing opposition from a number of creditors....
The Charmer Sunbelt Group is running a public service announcement aimed at the Hispanic community in the north-east of the US....
Anheuser-Busch has rolled out a wheat- and gluten-free beer in the US....
European Union officials are in New Delhi today (20 December) in an attempt to broker a deal with the Indian government over the country's tariff regime....
Kirin Brewery Co. is aiming to boost operating profit by at least 28% in the next three years by focusing on growth in its overseas operations, non-beer alcohol and soft drink businesses....
South African drinks group Distell has secured a key wine deal with Scandinavian distributor Altia Corporation....
Pernod Ricard has signalled its commitment to promoting responsible drinking with plans to put warnings to pregnant women on all its wine and spirit brands throughout the EU....
California's Board of Equalization (BOE) has voted to conduct a review of how alcopops are classified and taxed in the state following concerns over underage drinking from high school seniors....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages