TRAVEL RETAIL: Wine, spirits FY volumes up despite Brazil slowdown
Sales volumes increased by 4%
A stuttering Brazil pulled back global travel retail wines & spirits sales last year but the category continued to find strong growth as Africa and the Middle East surged, a new survey has shown.
Wines & spirits volumes rose by 4% year-on-year, hitting 29.1m cases, according to the IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2013. In 2012, spirits again outperformed wine, growing volume by 5.2% compared to a 1% increase for wine.
A year prior spirits grew by 10% as wine stayed flat.
The strongest growth last year was in Africa and the Middle East, where volumes jumped by 13.7% because of a rebound in North Africa's tourism market after 2011's civil unrest, IWSR said.
Meanwhile, Brazil, the Americas’ biggest duty free market, posted a decline in volumes. The country last year saw decreases in consumer spending that has affected most multinational beverage firms in the country.
However, after Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 results last month, analysts suggested Brazil's market is back on track, while in June, Brown-Forman posted a 23% FY increase in net sales in the country.
Europe posted the biggest jump in volumes - 431,000 cases - for travel retail wines & spirits as Central and Eastern Europe propped up Western Europe, IWSR said. Volumes declined in the Nordic countries, the region’s biggest market.
Diageo appointed a new head of travel retail last month, Doug Bagley, after Roland Abella quit.
The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2013
The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2013 summarises the data and trends in the annual IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Database. In a series of tables and charts, it provides analysis on the o...read more
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research