FRANCE: Wine, spirits exports tumble in H1
French wine and spirits exports slid 25% by value in the first half of 2009, trade body Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS) has said.
Exports slipped to EUR3.28bn for the six months to the end of June, affecting all product categories, FEVS said.
Champagne, often the driving force behind exports, fell 45.2% in value and 41.1% in volume, while another leading product, Cognac, was down 26.6% in value and 28.4% in volume.
"As we anticipated, the first part of 2009 has been very difficult for wines and spirits exports after record years," says FEVS president Claude de Jouvencel.
"Given that the second half of the year traditionally accounts for the major part of our annual sales, there's reason to hope that there will be a stabilisation in current trends - comparison being drawn with the end of 2008 which was already on a downward curve," he added.
The Cognac market has not surprisingly been affected by the global economic downturn, but, according to a new report from IWSR/just-drinks, Asian markets have proved relatively resilient, compensating...
France's wines and spirits federation, the Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS), has named a new general secretary....
Remy Cointreau plans to cut around a quarter of jobs at Champagne division Piper-Heidsieck, following a tough time for Champagne in the economic downturn....
Lower demand for Champagne weighed heavily on French luxury goods group Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) in 2009, despite signs of a recovery in the fourth quarter....
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World