FRANCE: Wine, spirits exports down in 2008 - FEVS
Exports of French wines dropped by almost 10% in volume in the first eight months of the year, according to industry body, the Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS).
If Champagne is excluded from the figures, exports were down 11% by volume, said FEVS today (22 October).
It said the fall reflects the economic slowdown worldwide, which has been in evidence since the start of the year, and also the strong euro in relation to other major currencies.
FEVS warned last week that 2009 would be "difficult" for the industry.
France's global wine exports increased by 7% in value terms over the period to EUR4.2bn (US$5.4m). However, the FEVS said that this was largely due to the rising prices of Grands Crus 2005 this year (hikes ranging from 10 % to 100 %).
Spirits exports decreased 2% in volume and 5.8% in value. The traditional star performer, Cognac, was down 7.6% in volume and 4.4% in value.
Global wine and spirits exports combined totalled EUR5.8bn (US$ 7.46m), up 3.1%.
The downturn enveloping national economies may not be as cataclysmic as some fear, but the core wine market should expect to be hit hard, argues Chris Losh....
Champagne and Cognac group Rémy Cointreau watched its full-year sales slip by 11.6% this week as demand for premium alcohol continued to drop. Michelle Russell assesses the group's prospects....
Both China and the US have in different ways been exciting growth markets for the drinks sector in recent years but for obvious reasons neither is quite what they were. Chris Losh looks at how both ma...
Champagne and Cognac group Rémy Cointreau has joined the growing list of drinks companies decrying de-stocking by wholesalers, after seeing sales slip by 11.6% for its fiscal full-year....
Pernod Ricard has reported a 12% drop in like-for-like sales for its third quarter and launched a EUR1bn rights issue in order to help reduce debt....
Pernod Ricard has completed the sale of three ex-Vin & Sprit brands to Arcus Gruppen, but competition concerns have forced the drinks giant to remove Gronstedt Cognac from the deal and sell to Altia i...
Beam Global is to launch a series of initiatives as part of a GBP12m investment in its Courvoisier brand in the UK this year....
Roust Inc. and Rémy Cointreau are extending their distribution tie-up in Russia....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets