UK: Wine & Spirit Trade Association calls for fairer taxes
The WSTA held its annual conference yesterday
The Wine & Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) has launched a new campaign demanding a fairer taxation system in the UK and an end to the duty escalator.
The “Be Fair, George” campaign will ask the UK Chancellor, George Osborne, to scrap an annual excise increase that has raised the duty on wines and spirits by about 50% since 2008. Osborne removed beer from the escalator in last year's Budget while taking GBP0.01 of the price of a pint.
“Given the Government’s concession that the impact of the duty escalator on beer was bad for pubs, the escalator concept itself is now damaged,” WSTA chief executive Miles Beale said yesterday (25 September) at the association's annual conference. “It is bad for businesses, bad for the economy and bad for consumers.”
Beale said the campaign will aim to stop by 2014 the duty escalator on an industry that generates GBP17bn (US$27.3bn) in taxes.
“Penalising such success is unfair and at odds with the Government’s claim to reward success and support competitiveness,” Beale added.
The Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) has appointed a new chairman ahead of a structural shake-up that will merge the UK trade association's commercial arm with its main body....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends