UK: Wine & Spirit Trade Association calls for fairer taxes
The WSTA held its annual conference yesterday
The Wine & Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) has launched a new campaign demanding a fairer taxation system in the UK and an end to the duty escalator.
The “Be Fair, George” campaign will ask the UK Chancellor, George Osborne, to scrap an annual excise increase that has raised the duty on wines and spirits by about 50% since 2008. Osborne removed beer from the escalator in last year's Budget while taking GBP0.01 of the price of a pint.
“Given the Government’s concession that the impact of the duty escalator on beer was bad for pubs, the escalator concept itself is now damaged,” WSTA chief executive Miles Beale said yesterday (25 September) at the association's annual conference. “It is bad for businesses, bad for the economy and bad for consumers.”
Beale said the campaign will aim to stop by 2014 the duty escalator on an industry that generates GBP17bn (US$27.3bn) in taxes.
“Penalising such success is unfair and at odds with the Government’s claim to reward success and support competitiveness,” Beale added.
The Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) has appointed a new chairman ahead of a structural shake-up that will merge the UK trade association's commercial arm with its main body....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global wine market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest ha...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research