UK: Wine & Spirit Trade Association calls for fairer taxes
The WSTA held its annual conference yesterday
The Wine & Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) has launched a new campaign demanding a fairer taxation system in the UK and an end to the duty escalator.
The “Be Fair, George” campaign will ask the UK Chancellor, George Osborne, to scrap an annual excise increase that has raised the duty on wines and spirits by about 50% since 2008. Osborne removed beer from the escalator in last year's Budget while taking GBP0.01 of the price of a pint.
“Given the Government’s concession that the impact of the duty escalator on beer was bad for pubs, the escalator concept itself is now damaged,” WSTA chief executive Miles Beale said yesterday (25 September) at the association's annual conference. “It is bad for businesses, bad for the economy and bad for consumers.”
Beale said the campaign will aim to stop by 2014 the duty escalator on an industry that generates GBP17bn (US$27.3bn) in taxes.
“Penalising such success is unfair and at odds with the Government’s claim to reward success and support competitiveness,” Beale added.
The Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) has appointed a new chairman ahead of a structural shake-up that will merge the UK trade association's commercial arm with its main body....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global wine market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest ha...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report