GERMANY: Wine sales up, prices down - report
Wine sales in Germany rose in the first half of this year, according to local press reports. Specialised magazine Handelsblatt said today (29 September) that sales of 0.75-litre bottles in the country increased in the first six months of 2004 to 367m bottles.
The magazine cited a survey by marketing research firm AC Nielsen in its report.
While red wines accounted for 61% of overall wine sales in the period, the magazine said, domestic wines accounted for just 35.5% of total sales. French red wines top the league table in the German market, followed by domestic wines with Italian reds in third place, the magazine noted.
Between January and June this year, the average price for a bottle of red or white wine fell by €0.21 compared to the same period last year. The average price for a bottle of domestic red wine also dipped, down to €3.02 from €3.16 in the same period in 2003.
Having arguably failed to reach their potential in the US, following a phenomenal start in California, the "smoothie" has become a major success story in the UK soft drinks market. So much so, accordi...
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Cerveceria Chile saw its domestic market share leap last month, according to recent figures....
Average per capita wine consumption in Italy has dropped by over a half in the last 33 years, according to recent figures....
The sale of mineral water at retail level in Switzerland has fallen 10% in the year to May....
Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has had its rating upgraded....
Carlsberg has renewed its sponsorship with European Champions League winners Liverpool....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends