S KOREA: Wine sales overtake soju - report
Wine looks set to overtake soju in South Korea, according to recent figures from the country.
In a report in Korea Times over the weekend, statistics from discount store chains in South Korea suggested that wine has leapfrogged the national spirit into the number two spot in popularity, behind beer. E-Mart was cited in the report as saying that wine sales in the first five months of 2008 hit KRW24.3bn (US$23.6m), ahead of soju sales by around KRW200m.
A spokesperson for the retailer was cited as saying: "This is the outcome of rapidly growing demand for wine of late. We expect wine to be neck and neck with beer sales sooner or later with this growth."
Wine is the only kind of liquor for which sales have been constantly on the rise over the past few years while soju sales have stagnated, E-Mart told the paper.
Late last year, the Korea Alcohol and Liquor Industry Association said that soju sales between January and July rose slightly, by 1.8% year-on-year, to 8.4m 30 360ml-bottle cases.
In 2006, Jinro maintained its dominance of the market, accounting for 52.3% of sales, with Doosan coming in second with only 9.7% market share.
Australia's drinks industry could be facing a few seismic shifts over the next few months....
While there are clearly huge rewards on offer to international players in emerging markets, local spirits companies are also reaping the dividend of economic growth and rising personal wealth, and are...
A tangled web of tax and regulations across Indian states remains a major barrier to beer market growth in the country, the head of SABMiller India has said....
A U-turn by the UK government on this week's alcohol duty increase has split the spirits and wine industries in the country....
The European spirits industry is "walking the talk on responsibility", according to The European Spirits Organisation CEPS report out today (26 November)....
The spirits industry in the UK has attacked the latest duty increase introduced in the country in an attempt to ward off the global economic crisis....
Thai Beverage has said its planned listing on the Thailand stock exchange is on hold, because of volatility in financial markets....
UK retail giant Tesco is cutting 15% of its total wine range over the next six months, according to reports....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets