US: Wine retail group vows to boost consumer choice
A wine retailers association has been formed in the US to fight what they see as uneven and unconstitutional state laws that reduce choice for consumers and keep prices artificially high.
The Specialty Wine Retailers Association has been formed with the aim of encouraging states to create a "borderless national wine marketplace that offers consumers more choice, lower pricing and more convenience, and offers states increased tax revenues".
The SWRA said that while a US Supreme Court ruling on out-of-state wine shipping applies to wineries and retailers, many states that allow direct-to-consumer shipments from wineries do not extend the same privilege to retailers. The association is aiming to correct this.
"As a result of the May 2005 US Supreme Court ruling, 33 states now allow licensed, out-of-state wineries to ship directly to their consumers," said Lesley P. Berglund, SWRA president. "But only 12 states, at most, allow retailers to do the same."
SWRA members include wine merchants, wine auction houses, wine e-tailers, catalogue companies and wine clubs, with the membership extending to 30 states.
The imported premium vodka, Svedka, is without doubt a brand success story in the dynamic US premium vodka market. But its raunchy advertising has ridden roughshod over industry rules causing concern ...
Cosentino Signature Wines is looking to raise over GBP10m from its impending stock market float....
Napa Valley's Cosentino Signature Wineries plans to raise US$30m by listing on London's AIM market this month....
UK off-licence retail group Unwins is planning to float its Phillips Newman subsidiary on the Aim stock market, and then plans to float itself on the Aim market, according to the Daily Telegraph....
The European Commission has opened a formal investigation into a planned €7.425m-subsidy package planned by the Dutch government into its country's malt sector. ...
The Swedish state-run alcohol retailer Systembolaget is to set up a subsidiary whose aim will be to cut alcohol consumption, the local press reported today (6 May)....
The UK brewer Young & Co.'s has proposed simplify its share structure, in a plan that is expected to provide greater liquidity in its voting shares....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018