EU: Wine put up for tender and distillation
The European Union is looking to offload 100,000 hectolitres of wine for distillation.
The wine, which is stored in two locations in France, has been put out to tender with a deadline for bids of 10 November.
Earlier this year, the European Commission proposed what it called a "root-and-branch reform of the European Union's wine sector". The proposal was made as the EU again doled out grants to winemakers in the region to distill their alcohol for industrial use.
"This is an unsustainable - some might say crazy - way to spend taxpayers' money," said EU Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel at the time.
The Commission hopes to introduce plans which include ending crisis distillation while returning to a scheme of grubbing up vines and extending the system of planting rights to limit production.
Bringing together the great and the good of the world's whisky distillers, The World Whisky Conference - which ran this week in Glasgow - saw just-drinks out in force. Chris Brook-Carter looks back at...
The decision by Constellation to sell half of its UK distribution company Matthew Clark to Punch Taverns and form a joint venture with the pub retailer has left many in the industry scratching their h...
Diageo is looking to focus heavily on its premium market by offering up more innovative ways for them to connect with key brands....
Retail giant Sainsbury's plans to remove all artificial colours and flavourings from its own-brand ranges of soft drinks in the UK....
The World Trade Organisation has agreed to an EU request to take a closer look at India's taxation of spirits and wines....
European Union (EU) Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel has called for EU table wines to be labelled with their grape variety and vintage year, abolishing a restriction that reserves such in...
Global drinks giant Diageo has made a minority investment in a vodka/wine blend targeted at women in North America....
Norwegian wine sales and consumer purchasing trends have continued their upward trend, according to recent figures....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends